Even Italian models insist that eating alla italiana, complete with lots of pasta, helps keep them in shape. But do the experts agree? We spoke to three Italian nutritionists to find out how goodies like gelato, wine, and biscotti fit into plans to lose weight (or maintain it). Click ahead for their nine best tips — some answers may surprise you.
1. Have cookies for breakfast. Well, sort of. Italian nutritionists agreed that limiting sugar and refined carbohydrates was necessary for a healthy diet. But when asked about the ideal breakfast, one mentioned biscotti (in Italy, a catchall term for cookies); another, fette biscottate (a kind of twice-baked, sweetened bread) with honey or marmalade. Yes, the Italian versions of these tend to have less sugar than most American cereals, and yes, it’s all about small quantities (just 20 grams of biscuits, for example). Still. Cookies for breakfast? We’re in.
2. And one or two eggs … daily. Eggs will raise your cholesterol? Please, said Parma nutritionist Massimo Spattini, author of the upcoming book The COM Diet and Spot Reduction. “Some people don’t eat more than one egg or two a week,” he said. “That is totally wrong! Eggs are the perfect food,” he said, balanced in amino acids, protein, and “good fats.”
3. A (tiny) gelato is a reasonable snack. Here are the foods recommended as mid-afternoon snacks by nutritionist Pietro Migliaccio, president of the Italian Society of Food Science: low-fat yogurt (125 grams), a cereal bar, or an orange juice. Or: a cappuccino with a teaspoon of sugar; 20 grams of chocolate; a popsicle; a “mini-gelatino” (a tiny gelato); or tea with a teaspoon of sugar and two or three miniature pastries. You know which one we’re going with.
4. Pasta for lunch? Or bresaola? “At lunch, certainly you can have carbs like whole-wheat pasta with vegetables, a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, a salad, and fruit,” said Costantino Motzo, a nutritionist in Cagliari. Or, said Migliaccio, a balanced lunch could be 70 grams of speck or bresaola, along with two slices of bread and “as many raw or cooked vegetables as you like, seasoned with a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil.”
5. And pasta for dinner. If, that is, you’re the “android” body type, said Spattini. That’s the body type characterized by broader shoulders, a narrow pelvis, and fat being carried in the abdomen — which also makes it the most dangerous. Because they already wake up with high levels of cortisol, androids should avoid insulin- and hormone-stimulating carbs in the morning, as they add fat to the belly, Spattini said. But in the evening, when cortisol naturally starts to dip, androids can become hypoglycemic, at which point they need carbs. Eating carbs at night also produces more serotonin, he said, which makes you calm, especially necessary for high-cortisol, high-stress androids. Gynaeoid body types, on the other hand (those with small waists and larger hips), should eat with an opposite schedule: carbs in the morning, protein at night, he said.
6. But fruit after dinner can be a bad idea. At dinner, Motzo said, go for some protein — “much better fish than meat, and much better white meat than red meat” — and a salad. But, he said, “end your meal without the fruit, because fruit at night can cause some indigestion.”
7. And cheese goes straight to your hips. “Cheeses are good for you, but very fattening,” Motzo warned. “Because of this, you are free to have them two or three times a week, but they shouldn’t be something that enters into a daily routine. What happens if you eat them more often than that? You’ll find fat in the stomach, fat in the bottom, fat in the thighs.”
8. Sad news: Even red wine is bad for you. “It is a product that is rich with antioxidants, this is true. But if you eat a pepper, it has antioxidants, too,” Motzo said. Alcohol is caloric, it’s a carcinogen, and it stresses out the liver. “It is one of those foods that we can use for relaxation, but we shouldn't pass on the message that it’s a product that is good for you,” he said.
9. Meno in quantità. Piu in qualità. Overall, Motzo and the others said, the best takeaway is to eat less, but eat better. Use real extra-virgin olive oil; eat seasonally, local, and organic. And, yes, enjoy the occasional gelato.
Most Viewed Stories
Why Millennial Pink Refuses to Go Away
Bobbi Brown on Why She Really Left Her Brand and Resisted Making a Contour Palette, and Her Next Moves
All the Things Women Are Doing Wrong
Ali Wong Loves Kondo-ing So Much, She Named Her Daughter After It
The Makeup Police Have Come to Arrest Alicia Keys
What We Lose When Sex Is All About Danger
Donald Trump Spoiled His Daughter-in-Law’s Pregnancy Announcement
This New Fashion Campaign Features Real-Life Couples Having Sex
Ask a Boss: My Co-worker Talks Nonstop!
The Moment Khloé Asked the Cameras to Stop Filming
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesThe Only Woman Mike Pence Is Allowed to Eat Alone With Is His Wife
He also won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her.Nicki Minaj Is Officially Now a Model After Signing On to an Agency
She signed with Wilhelmina’s celebrity division.Maxine Waters Is — Yep — Unfazed By Bill O’Reilly’s Comments About Her Hair
“I’m a strong black woman, and I cannot be intimidated.”Kris Jenner Is Reportedly Trying to Find Time to Break Up with Corey Gamble
The momager’s busy schedule apparently hasn’t allowed time for talk of breaking up.The Makeup Police Have Come to Arrest Alicia Keys
Adam Levine tattled on Alicia Keys for wearing makeup.Lyft Fancies Itself the Woke Bae of Ride-Hailing Apps
“We’re not the nice guys,” Lyft president John Zimmer told Time. “We’re a better boyfriend.”A New Book on Yoga Aims to Democratize the Practice
Yoga Bodies shows people of all ages, backgrounds, shapes, and skill levels.3 Former Olympic Gymnasts Just Gave Chilling Public Accounts of Sexual Abuse
▶️ More than 100 women have come forward to accuse a USA Gymnastics physician of sexual abuse.The Best Street Style From Tokyo Fashion Week
Bold hair, oversized coats, so much blue.How a Device That Mimics Your Period Could Advance Women’s Reproductive-Health Treatments
EVATAR is basically a menstrual cycle on a chip.
They’re the ultimate gateway to a coordinated sleepwear closet.7 Great Sneakers Inspired by Céline’s Cool New Style
It’s the only thing you’ll want to wear this summer.Soon You Can Swipe Right on Hotties From Your Work Computer
Finally.Some Exciting News for People Who Love Smoothies, But in a Bowl
You won’t need your Vitamix for this.This New Fashion Campaign Features Real-Life Couples Having Sex
Eckhaus Latta’s spring 2017 knits must be really cozy.Why Is Kanye West So Obsessed With Calabasas?
Close reading his uncanny (San Fernando) valley vision.Red Is the Most Important Color in Fashion Right Now
The official shade of fall makes a statement that goes far beyond the color wheel.Get to Know the 8 Finalists for the LVMH Prize
Update your March Madness–style bracket accordingly.How I Get It Done: Nell McShane Wulfhart, Professional Travel Writer and Decision Coach
On never leaving home without a pair of slippers, the hell that is tax season, and how she tries to blend in wherever she goes.How Social Media Is Helping Washington Search for Its Missing Black Teens — and What Happens Next
Black teens go missing at a disproportionate rate — and the problem isn’t limited to D.C.