My outlet finds are the prized pieces in my closet. A fire-red Alexander McQueen jersey number with a rouched-back that took me through a premiere at the Venice Film Festival, an A-list wedding, and a celebrity Thanksgiving dinner. Retail value: $1,500. Outlet price: $300. Then there are the Stella McCartney pants, perfectly tailored and quietly sexy, the staple piece for a stylish work lunch or cocktail party. Retail value: $1,000. Outlet price: $250. And then the shoes — my beloved suede Miu Miu pumps, patent leather platforms from Prada (these are less stripper than they sound), Sergio Rossi stilettos — all a steal at about 100 bucks a couple of years back.
In the years of hitting the Tuscan outlets, these highlights keep me going back. That in spite of some trips that were basically pointless, where trolling through multiple stores left me wondering what was going on with the stock or with me trying to shove my feet into a size too small like one of Cinderella’s ugly stepsisters (I still regret buying a pair from Miu Miu because I get blisters every time; I guess I do get to gaze at them). And yet, like a shopping junkie, I return frequently, just in case this time I will find my next couture star, and because, unlike at many other international outlet options, these pieces are part of the real collections and marked down by 50 percent. Here are five tips to make the search a bit easier.
1. The early bird catches the worm, or the Prada: At Space, the strangely named and hard to find Prada and Miu Miu outlet, you must get a ticketed number before entering the store. Arrive at least a half-hour before the doors open (10:30 during the week and Sundays, and 9:30 on Saturdays) and after snagging your number, gear up for the hunt with a double espresso at the bar. At the Mall, which carries brands from McQueen to Lanvin and Pucci, doors open at 10 a.m., so hover outside at least 15 minutes before or have breakfast at the sleek new Gucci café. Stock is refreshed almost daily, which is why your arrival time is of the essence.
2. Avoid the busloads of tourists: Check out the bus times to the Mall and the train to Montevarchi station from Florence (from where Space has a free shuttle), and you can plan a stealth arrival without the masses. We aren’t saying you won’t seem crazy to your fellow travelers, but this is war, people.
3. Hit the sales early: The seasonal sales bring even deeper discounts, but you need to get there early for the best selection and deals. At both spots, the summer sales run from the beginning of July (with an additional 30 to 50 percent off) and the winter from the beginning of January.
4. Take the time to do the tax refund paperwork: If you are a non-EU resident, you can get a tax refund if you spend more than 155 EUR at a store, which works out for another 12 percent off. The Mall has a tax back office right on the grounds but you can also take care of getting a refund at the airport, just give yourself extra time in case there is a long line of other rabid shoppers.
5. Prioritize your brands: Like with most outlet shopping, stamina and strategy are essential or you will get tired and overwhelmed. Hitting Space and the Mall on the same day is an exhausting proposition, so I advise choosing one or the other and devoting yourself to finding the best buys at each. If you worship at the shrine of Miuccia Prada, then devote your pilgrimage to her, but if you want more of a range, then head to the Mall. Now that they are carrying even more brands like Stella McCartney Kids, Tom Ford, and Yves Saint Laurent, I am on Team Mall.
Most Viewed Stories
This Conspiracy Theory Will Change How You Feel About the Bachelor Villain
The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for the Women’s March
15 Protest Sign Ideas for the Women’s March on Washington
Here’s the Official List of Speakers for the Women’s March on Washington
Sexual Assault in the Amazon
The Sheer Perfection of Donald Trump’s Golden Shower
Things to Keep You Warm and Dry at a Protest
Your Guide to Peeing During the Women’s March on Washington
Pakistani Pop Star Stops Concert When He Spots Sexual Harassment
TMZ Reports Trump Will Actually Have Really Cool Inauguration Performers
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Fashion FeaturesCiara's Wedding Dress Was Too Big for the Chapel
To be fair, it was a 13 foot-long dress.You and Rihanna Will Both Want to Invest in Dior’s New Bag
It's got something for everyone.Polo Shirts Have Turned Their Back on Ryan Lochte
Along with his other major sponsors.Ryan Lochte Will No Longer Be Paid to Wear Tiny Bathing Suits
Speedo remains committed to transparency.Laura Brown Is the New Editor-in-Chief of InStyle
After 11 years at Harper’s Bazaar.Tyra Banks Is Going to Teach a Class on Smizing at Stanford
"If I see somebody not paying attention, I’m gonna call on them."This Floating Pier Is the Most Zen Installation Ever
Walking on water in Italy.Nation Is Appalled by Matt Lauer’s Nude Ankles During Ryan Lochte Interview
What’s the opposite of “Jeah”?8 People at the Life of Pablo Pop-up Explain Why Kanye West Is a God
"I mean, Kanye West is just Kanye West. There's not more or less you can say about Kanye West. He's just Mr. West!"A T-shirt Is Enough
Simplicity, versatility, and cool. What more could you want?
She took a perfect pencil dive off a 30-foot yacht.American Apparel Is Being Sued by Former Workers
As the company considers putting itself up for sale.A Gendered History of the Tailored Suit
From Marlon Brando to Coco Chanel.How Zendaya Developed Such Great Style at the Young Age of 19
The star's best looks from Disney to now.Proof That If You’re Chic Enough, a Little Federal Investigation Doesn’t Matter
Is this the best they could do?5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman Probably Would’ve Been a Street-Style Star
He had several different looks and was “pretty picky.”J.Crew Has Identified 226 Shades of Pink
Even more than there are shades of gray.Gigi and Bella Hadid Merch Is Now Somehow a Thing That Is Happening
Today in Hadidiana.Gird Your Loins for the Return of Yeezy to New York Fashion Week
The season approaches.This Indie Brand Had a Great Response to Ivanka Trump
When she bought one of their cuffs, they donated the proceeds to the Clinton campaign.