Newsflash: Moisturizers don’t moisturize. This is not to say that moisturizers don’t work, but their moisturizing properties do not come from adding moisture to the skin, but by locking existing moisture in. If you’re plagued by various dryness during the cold winter month, then the concept of "locking in moisture" is especially essential to prevent cracking, scaliness, and irritation. To find out the best ways to cuff yourself to moisture this winter, the Cut spoke with Dr. Patricia Wexler, who delivered some additional tips on how to make your skin less thirsty. As she explains, locking in moisture is about “creating an environment to sustain moisture in extremely dry skin or hair over time.”
1. Don’t make your showers too hot. The ideal temperature is lukewarm, like your feelings for Ariana Grande until she got slapped in the face with a Victoria’s Secret Angel wing.
2. Don’t shower too long. The best showers, Dr. Wexler suggests are “tepid, short showers,” so shower like you are in a European youth hostel.
3. No baths. Excessive heat dehydrates the skin. Showering will have to be your cardio.
4. Apply moisturizer when your skin is damp. The clock for locking it in post-shower begins at five minutes, so moisturize like you are on the clock.
5. Avoid beeswax lip balms. “Lips respond well to paraffin (not beeswax) ceramides,” Dr. Wexler clarifies, which last long in a moist environment. She likes Kiehl's Lip Balm for its combination of emollients like squalene, lanolin, wheat germ oil, and vitamin E.
6. Try creams, not lotions. Lotions have a higher alcohol content and can be more drying.
7. Look for creams that contain ceramides. In layman’s terms, Dr. Wexler explains a ceramide is a “glue” that holds skin cells together, helping skin maintain its appearance while protecting it. She calls products that contain them “great barrier repair" that bind in moisture and water. Her favorites are CeraVe moisturizing cream and Nia 24 Skin Strengthening Complex.
8. Face oils don’t moisturize. Dr. Wexler explains that oils can seal in moisture, but can’t lock in moisture that isn’t present. To effectively incorporate a face oil into your routine, she suggests moisturizing first with a cream or lotion, and using the oil on top.
9. But use oils on your cuticles. Dr. Wexler recommends oils that are infused with jojoba and vitamin E.
10. Don’t use soap. Use gentle, soap-free, fragrance-free body washes, limiting the use of detergents and glycerin.
11. Exfoliation doesn’t really do anything for moisturizing. Exfoliation can remove dead skin, which can help moisturizers penetrate better, but doesn't actually help with locking moisture in.
Most Viewed Stories
That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
Josh Kushner, Ivanka Trump’s Brother-in-Law, Was Reportedly Spotted at the Women’s March
What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
A Scene from the D.C. Women’s March
Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
Museums Across the World Are Collecting Women’s March Signs
Like Trump, Taylor Swift Cares About Numbers
Calvin Klein Quietly Unveils First Raf Simons Collection
The Future of the Left Is Female
From Our Partners
powered by PubExchange
The Cut’s Latest Beauty FeaturesJax’s Roast Should’ve Lasted All Episode
Watching Jax Taylor get insulted on camera is oddly satisfying.All 6 of King Henry VIII’s Wives Had Great Style
See costumes from the lavish new period drama.Contrary to What Sean Spicer Says, Taxpayer Dollars Don’t Fund Abortions Overseas
Dissecting Sean Spicer’s statement about the Mexico City Policy.The ‘Natural’ Skin-care Line Sephora Can’t Keep in Stock
All without Kardashian endorsements --- or fragrances.These 9 High-School Marchers Will Give You Hope for the Future
“For the kids in the community that didn’t have the opportunity to go, I want to be able to represent them and break the stereotypes held against us.”That Awkward Clip of Donald and Melania at the Inauguration Is Definitely Real
A short video clip tells all.Was This Your First March? Don’t Stop Now.
The work didn’t end on Saturday.The Future of the Left Is Female
Women’s rights are human rights, and women leaders are progressive leaders.Have Dark Eye Circles? Dior Shows You How to Put Some Glitter on It
Who needs concealer?What You Need to Know About the 89800 ‘Count Me’ Text
The organization behind the Count Me In effort provided an update.
Including Kate Spade’s camel adventure, and a look at Maria Grazia Chiuri’s first ads for Dior.Sean Spicer Chews and Swallows 35 Pieces of Gum Every Day Before Noon
He chews Orbit cinnamon, which is a terrible choice.Guess What Mariah Carey Did to Cheer Up Her Backup Dancer?
It took place onstage.Senator Taking Inauguration Selfie Identified Only as ‘Woman’
SFGate neglected to identify the senator, who was taking a photo with her male colleagues.The Musician on a Date at the NYC Women’s March
This week’s sex diary.Trump’s Latest Executive Order Will Affect Women’s Health Worldwide
The president reinstated the Global Gag Rule on abortion on Monday morning.7 Ways to Wear Cropped Pants in the Winter
Denim, satin, any kind of fabric, we’ve got the answer.Maria Grazia Chiuri Made Her Dior Couture Debut Amid an Enchanted Forest Set
Fairy-tale fashion.An Estimated 3.2 Million People Participated in Women’s Marches Across the Country
A by-the-numbers breakdown of women’s marches in every city.Trump Accuser Jessica Drake Was a One-Woman Protest at the Porn Oscars
She flew to the awards after marching in Washington, and walked the red carpet wearing a dress made to look like a burned American flag.