Hoverboards, Swagways, the most convincing reason to friend-zone someone: Whatever you call them, motorized balance scooters had quite the year in 2015. They were embraced by celebrities and shunned by police; they went viral and blew up … literally. Here are the ten most important hoverboard moments of 2015.
1. Men dancing on hoverboards became the viral-video sensation we didn’t know we wanted.
2. Wiz Khalifa was arrested for refusing to get off a hoverboard.
3. A hoverboard exploded in a Washington, D.C., mall.
4. Lily Allen showed us true talent is eating cereal on a hoverboard.
5. The Cut readers weighed in and definitively decided that no, they would not bang a dude on a hoverboard.
6. The NYPD decreed that hoverboards are “illegal to ride in public.”
7. A hoverboard caught fire and burned down a family’s home.
8. A man stole a case of energy drinks from a bodega while riding a hoverboard.
9. Jason DeRulo performed at the MTV Awards on a hoverboard.
10. People took it upon themselves to remind us all that no, they’re not actually hoverboards.