- By Meredith Bethune
- Norway’s stylish capital is bursting with art for everyone. Find world-class masterpieces, boutique hotels, and high-end galleries along with cutting-edge design shops.
More Nordic Getaways
- Party With the Culturati in Aarhus By Brendan Spiegel
Home to a stunning, rainbow-roofed museum and a rapidly rising arts scene, Denmark’s second-largest city is stealing more than a bit of Copenhagen’s thunder.
- Explore Culinary Traditions in Gothenburg By Lola Akinmade Åkerström
The port city on Sweden’s western coast is making a new culinary mark, with up-and-coming cafés in unexpected spaces and hands-on foodie expeditions.
Find Your Perfect Getaway by Region
- See the Sophisticated Side of Sullivan County
The historic heart of the Borscht Belt is getting a stylish makeover with design-forward accommodations and artisanal everything, from cider to clothing.
- Find Your Inner Artist in Wassaic
Creative city-dwellers are flocking to this pastoral Dutchess County hamlet, transforming it into an enclave for artists and art-lovers alike.
- Stay Up Late in Montreal
This Quebec destination city has three-story megaclubs, indie-music venues, and plenty of innovative watering holes for nightlife lovers.
- Discover the Off-Season Outdoors in Whistler
Long known as a powder junkie's utopia, the town's gorgeous terrain—not to mention a buzzing culinary scene and more wallet-friendly prices—make it well worth an off-season visit.
- See the Creative Side of Aspen
Powder season and the X Games get all the hype, but there’s a thriving artistic side to this Rocky Mountain town year round.
- Sip Something New in Santa Barbara
The Santa Ynez Valley has become a new frontier for young winemakers, with chic new tasting rooms and creative ways to explore the bounty of this West Coast beach town.
- Drink and Dine in Virginia’s Piedmont Region
Central Virginia’s food-and-wine country is a gourmand’s paradise, with verdant vineyards, sophisticated new restaurants, and hands-on culinary experiences galore.
- Discover Greensboro–Winston-Salem’s New Cool
The former textile towns are undergoing a renaissance thanks to stylish boutique hotels, inventive restaurants and breweries, and a vibrant arts scene.
- Dig In and Drink Up in Minneapolis
With a growing roster of breweries and distilleries and a food scene that’s modern yet mindful of local heritage, Minneapolis has emerged as a capital of midwestern cool.
- Go Gourmet in Grand Rapids
The West Michigan city's food scene is heating up, with local chefs and brewmasters capitalizing on the region's agricultural bounty.
- Get Cultured in Brussels
Belgium’s once-stuffy corporate capital has discovered its creative side, welcoming new cutting-edge galleries, concept shops, boutique hotels, and more.
- Find Art and History in San Cristóbal de las Casas
Recently named a UNESCO “Creative City of Folk Art,” this Colonial town in southern Mexico boasts an arts scene with a rich heritage and contemporary energy.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.