By Emily Saladino
- Often overlooked as a foodie destination, Scotland's capital has an emerging culinary scene rich with local spirits, farm-to-table fare, and tartan-free fine dining.
More U.K. Getaways
- Go Wild in Wales By Brendan Spiegel
The U.K.’s most underrated country is home to a cosmopolitan capital, stunning national parks, rugged coasts, and a burgeoning adventure-sports scene.
- Soak Up Art and Architecture in Glasgow By Grace Bastidas
Scotland’s largest city boasts stunning buildings old and new, plus a homegrown DIY scene that’s transforming iconic landmarks into contemporary art spaces.
- Savor the Season in Millbrook
As the days grow shorter, head to the farms and vineyards of this uncrowded Hudson Valley town for late-season wine tastings, seasonal dinners, and top-tier organic cheeses and meats.
- Toast to Harvest Season in the North Fork
Celebrating fall on Long Island means drinking at new wineries, eating freshly harvested oysters, and enjoying farm-fresh produce at weekend food festivals.
- Explore the Creative Side of Cambridge
With innovative restaurants, funky design boutiques, and one of the country's hottest theaters, this cultural hub outside of Boston offers much more than just Ivy League pomp.
- Go Neighborhood-Hopping in Baltimore
The city’s once-grungy northern districts have transformed into a thriving area with hip boutiques, destination restaurants, and a homegrown art-and-nightlife scene.
- Get Moving in Napa Valley
Best known for world-class wines and dining, Napa Valley is also drawing adventure-minded travelers with biking, hiking, and other adrenaline-pumping ways to explore the vineyard-filled landscape.
- Dive Into High Culture in Ashland
With fewer crowds (and lower prices) at its internationally renowned Shakespeare festival and an ever-thriving local arts scene, now’s the ideal time to visit this cultural oasis in woodsy Southern Oregon.
- Find Design Inspiration in Louisville
New curated and custom furniture shops have cropped up alongside traditional antiques dealers, making this Kentucky city a design-hound destination.
- Tap Into the New South in Richmond
Revitalized neighborhoods, new cultural attractions, and a rising culinary scene are rejuvenating Virginia’s capital.
- See Cutting-Edge Contemporary Art in Cleveland
This Rust Belt city is transforming into a thriving art hub thanks to two stunning new museum openings and a growing number of galleries.
- Hit the Peninsulas in Traverse City
With farms, vineyards, and foraging chefs, this bucolic retreat in northern Michigan is a rising destination for food lovers.
- Find Modern Style in San Juan
With new design hotels and an emerging alternative arts scene, this sunshiny port city, known for its crumbling colonial charm, is experiencing a surge of cool.
- Go Barefoot on Les Saintes
Skip the Caribbean party scene in favor of this quiet French archipelago off the coast of Guadeloupe, where uncrowded beaches, rustic inns, and car-free streets are still the norm.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.