- By Shayla Martin
- The former textile towns are undergoing a renaissance thanks to stylish boutique hotels, inventive restaurants and breweries, and a vibrant arts scene.
More Southern Getaways
- Chow Down in Charleston By Sarah Gold
With a slew of innovative chefs and stylish inns for both sleeping and noshing, the graceful South Carolina city is a bona fide dining destination.
- Explore the Arty Side of Atlanta By Blane Bachelor
Thanks to revitalized neighborhoods full of young, creative types, a new wave of public art, and lots of love from the film industry, the “Hollywood of the South” isn’t just for rappers anymore.
Find Your Perfect Getaway by Region
- See the Sophisticated Side of Sullivan County
The historic heart of the Borscht Belt is getting a stylish makeover with design-forward accommodations and artisanal everything, from cider to clothing.
- Find Your Inner Artist in Wassaic
Creative city-dwellers are flocking to this pastoral Dutchess County hamlet, transforming it into an enclave for artists and art-lovers alike.
- Stay Up Late in Montreal
This Quebec destination city has three-story megaclubs, indie-music venues, and plenty of innovative watering holes for nightlife lovers.
- Discover the Off-Season Outdoors in Whistler
Long known as a powder junkie's utopia, the town's gorgeous terrain—not to mention a buzzing culinary scene and more wallet-friendly prices—make it well worth an off-season visit.
- See the Creative Side of Aspen
Powder season and the X Games get all the hype, but there’s a thriving artistic side to this Rocky Mountain town year round.
- Sip Something New in Santa Barbara
The Santa Ynez Valley has become a new frontier for young winemakers, with chic new tasting rooms and creative ways to explore the bounty of this West Coast beach town.
- Cycle Through the New Greenville
With a growing food scene, a creative DIY spirit, and a serious cycling culture, this once-sleepy southern town has reinvented itself as an exciting destination.
- Nosh Your Way Through Nashville
The Music City has become a food mecca, with innovative restaurants, hands-on culinary classes, and stylish spots to sleep off your last meal.
- Go Gourmet in Grand Rapids
The West Michigan city's food scene is heating up, with local chefs and brewmasters capitalizing on the region's agricultural bounty.
- Skip the Slopes in Jackson Hole
The mountain town has a surprisingly rich off-piste scene, from wildlife safaris and fat biking to art galleries and brewpubs.
- Discover Art and Design in Zagreb
With a flourishing street-art scene, eye-catching museums, and a wave of design pop-ups, Croatia's capital city is a new standout for art lovers.
- Go Adventuring in Ambergris Caye
Just a ten-minute flight from the capital, with lush wilderness and serene lodges, Belize's largest island feels a world away.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.