By Cemile Kavountzis
- The Hawaiian capital is hopping, with a spate of stylish new hotels and boutiques, a thriving young fashion scene, and less-crowded beaches (and lower prices) in the off-season.
More Beach Getaways
- Detox and Unwind in Los Cabos By Geraldine Campbell
There’s a healthy side to this spring-break destination best known for Cabo Wabo and partying co-eds.
- Hit the Links in Bermuda By Larry Olmsted
Blessed with pink beaches, heady rums, and killer golf courses, this northerly island (located off the Carolinas) rolls out heavy discounts in the wintertime off-season.
- Savor the Season in Millbrook
As the days grow shorter, head to the farms and vineyards of this uncrowded Hudson Valley town for late-season wine tastings, seasonal dinners, and top-tier organic cheeses and meats.
- Toast to Harvest Season in the North Fork
Celebrating fall on Long Island means drinking at new wineries, eating freshly harvested oysters, and enjoying farm-fresh produce at weekend food festivals.
- Explore the Creative Side of Cambridge
With innovative restaurants, funky design boutiques, and one of the country's hottest theaters, this cultural hub outside of Boston offers much more than just Ivy League pomp.
- Go Neighborhood-Hopping in Baltimore
The city’s once-grungy northern districts have transformed into a thriving area with hip boutiques, destination restaurants, and a homegrown art-and-nightlife scene.
- Get Moving in Napa Valley
Best known for world-class wines and dining, Napa Valley is also drawing adventure-minded travelers with biking, hiking, and other adrenaline-pumping ways to explore the vineyard-filled landscape.
- Dive Into High Culture in Ashland
With fewer crowds (and lower prices) at its internationally renowned Shakespeare festival and an ever-thriving local arts scene, now’s the ideal time to visit this cultural oasis in woodsy Southern Oregon.
- Find Fresh Art in Memphis
With a cluster of new galleries, plans for a behemoth art space, and street murals galore, the Memphis art scene is having a moment.
- Find Design Inspiration in Louisville
New curated and custom furniture shops have cropped up alongside traditional antiques dealers, making this Kentucky city a design-hound destination.
- See Cutting-Edge Contemporary Art in Cleveland
This Rust Belt city is transforming into a thriving art hub thanks to two stunning new museum openings and a growing number of galleries.
- Hit the Peninsulas in Traverse City
With farms, vineyards, and foraging chefs, this bucolic retreat in northern Michigan is a rising destination for food lovers.
- Taste the Roots of Fusion Cuisine in Panama City
As Panama’s famous canal turns 100, its capital’s diverse foodie scene—from the bustling fish market to experimental restaurants—is experiencing a rebirth, placing the city at a culinary crossroads.
- Explore Art and Design in Tallinn, Estonia
With new design hotels and an emerging alternative arts scene, this sunshiny port city, known for its crumbling colonial charm, is experiencing a surge of cool.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.