- By Julie Meade
- Inventive small-lot winemakers and new restaurants serving fresh-from-the-farm food are bringing a touch of cool to the Central California Coast.
More California Getaways
- Get Moving in Napa Valley By Blane Bachelor
Best known for world-class wines and dining, Napa Valley is also drawing adventure-minded travelers with biking, hiking, and other adrenaline-pumping ways to explore the vineyard-filled landscape.
- Get Lost in the Desert in Palm Springs By Carrie Nieman Culpepper
Explore rocky canyons and hip hotels near the site of the annual Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.
Find Your Perfect Getaway by Region
- Find Your Inner Artist in Wassaic
Creative city-dwellers are flocking to this pastoral Dutchess County hamlet, transforming it into an enclave for artists and art-lovers alike.
- Toast to Harvest Season in the North Fork
Celebrating fall on Long Island means drinking at new wineries, eating freshly harvested oysters, and enjoying farm-fresh produce at weekend food festivals.
- Chow Down in Hudson
With a spate of adventurous new restaurants, stylish inns, and well-curated boutiques opening, the upstate town’s buzzing even in the chillier months.
- Explore Architecture in Buffalo
With rehabbed architectural gems, stylish hotels, and innovative new restaurants, the upstate city now has far more to recommend outside of chicken wings.
- Taste the Flavors of Tucson
With regionally driven restaurants, up-and-coming winemakers, and a grounding in local culinary heritage, the Old Pueblo is the Southwest’s next foodie destination.
- Explore the Arty Side of Seattle
With a treasure trove of indie bookshops, spots to make your own masterpieces, and imaginative chefs taking over, the city’s creative side is flourishing.
- Nosh Your Way Through Nashville
The Music City has become a food mecca, with innovative restaurants, hands-on culinary classes, and stylish spots to sleep off your last meal.
- Get Creative in Raleigh-Durham
Outside the buzz of Charleston and Savannah, these southern cities are quietly fostering thriving art, design, and culinary scenes.
- Go Gourmet in Grand Rapids
The West Michigan city's food scene is heating up, with local chefs and brewmasters capitalizing on the region's agricultural bounty.
- Skip the Slopes in Jackson Hole
The mountain town has a surprisingly rich off-piste scene, from wildlife safaris and fat biking to art galleries and brewpubs.
- Explore Contemporary Art in Cornwall
The rugged southern tip of England is a creative hive, with world-class installations, design-minded new hotels, and imaginative restaurants.
- Explore the Art World of Guanajuato
The colorful university town is turning sophisticated, with new cultural centers, world-class performances, and design-minded hotels.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.