By Edna Ishayik
- With a cluster of new galleries, plans for a behemoth art space, and street murals galore, the Memphis art scene is having a moment.
More Southern Getaways
- Go Beyond Country in Nashville By Elaine Glusac
Modern speakeasies, new record shops, and local indie bands offer an alternative to the Opry.
- Ride the Waves in Charleston By Edna Ishayik
South Carolina's coastal city offers a growing surf scene and a host of other beachy activities.
- Savor the Season in Millbrook
As the days grow shorter, head to the farms and vineyards of this uncrowded Hudson Valley town for late-season wine tastings, seasonal dinners, and top-tier organic cheeses and meats.
- Toast to Harvest Season in the North Fork
Celebrating fall on Long Island means drinking at new wineries, eating freshly harvested oysters, and enjoying farm-fresh produce at weekend food festivals.
- Explore the Creative Side of Cambridge
With innovative restaurants, funky design boutiques, and one of the country's hottest theaters, this cultural hub outside of Boston offers much more than just Ivy League pomp.
- Go Neighborhood-Hopping in Baltimore
The city’s once-grungy northern districts have transformed into a thriving area with hip boutiques, destination restaurants, and a homegrown art-and-nightlife scene.
- Get Moving in Napa Valley
Best known for world-class wines and dining, Napa Valley is also drawing adventure-minded travelers with biking, hiking, and other adrenaline-pumping ways to explore the vineyard-filled landscape.
- Dive Into High Culture in Ashland
With fewer crowds (and lower prices) at its internationally renowned Shakespeare festival and an ever-thriving local arts scene, now’s the ideal time to visit this cultural oasis in woodsy Southern Oregon.
- Find Design Inspiration in Louisville
New curated and custom furniture shops have cropped up alongside traditional antiques dealers, making this Kentucky city a design-hound destination.
- Tap Into the New South in Richmond
Revitalized neighborhoods, new cultural attractions, and a rising culinary scene are rejuvenating Virginia’s capital.
- See Cutting-Edge Contemporary Art in Cleveland
This Rust Belt city is transforming into a thriving art hub thanks to two stunning new museum openings and a growing number of galleries.
- Hit the Peninsulas in Traverse City
With farms, vineyards, and foraging chefs, this bucolic retreat in northern Michigan is a rising destination for food lovers.
- Taste the Roots of Fusion Cuisine in Panama City
As Panama’s famous canal turns 100, its capital’s diverse foodie scene—from the bustling fish market to experimental restaurants—is experiencing a rebirth, placing the city at a culinary crossroads.
- Explore Art and Design in Tallinn, Estonia
With new design hotels and an emerging alternative arts scene, this sunshiny port city, known for its crumbling colonial charm, is experiencing a surge of cool.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.