- By Jimmy Im
- This Yucatán Peninsula beach town has become a bastion of contemporary cool with an influx of designer hotels, craft-beer and cocktail bars, and restaurants serving imaginative interpretations of traditional Mexican cuisine.
More Mexican Getaways
- Delve Into Design in Mexico City By Julie Meade
A new generation of stylish markets, imaginative artisans, and museums carry on the capital’s long history of aesthetic innovation.
- Discover Stunning Wine Country in the Guadalupe Valley By Nicholas Gill
More than a decade into its winemaking revival, the Napa of Mexico now lives up to its nickname with top-tier hotels and dining.
Find Your Perfect Getaway by Region
- See the Sophisticated Side of Sullivan County
The historic heart of the Borscht Belt is getting a stylish makeover with design-forward accommodations and artisanal everything, from cider to clothing.
- Find Your Inner Artist in Wassaic
Creative city-dwellers are flocking to this pastoral Dutchess County hamlet, transforming it into an enclave for artists and art-lovers alike.
- Send Off Summer in South County Rhode Island
The 40-minute drive from historic Watch Hill to beachy Narragansett includes oceanside accommodations and seafaring adventures that make South County a perfect post–Labor Day escape.
- Stay Up Late in Montreal
This Quebec destination city has three-story megaclubs, indie-music venues, and plenty of innovative watering holes for nightlife lovers.
- Drink in Cocktails and Mountain Vistas in Flagstaff
The city’s long been thrown shade as simply a layover stop on the way to the Grand Canyon, but in the last few years a lively food-and-nightlife scene has grown in Flagstaff.
- Savor the New Coastal Charm of Mendocino County
Spiffed-up lodgings, chef-driven restaurants, and a burgeoning wine scene warrant a visit to this artsy destination.
- Drink and Dine in Virginia’s Piedmont Region
Central Virginia’s food-and-wine country is a gourmand’s paradise, with verdant vineyards, sophisticated new restaurants, and hands-on culinary experiences galore.
- Discover Greensboro–Winston-Salem’s New Cool
The former textile towns are undergoing a renaissance thanks to stylish boutique hotels, inventive restaurants and breweries, and a vibrant arts scene.
- Dig In and Drink Up in Minneapolis
With a growing roster of breweries and distilleries and a food scene that’s modern yet mindful of local heritage, Minneapolis has emerged as a capital of midwestern cool.
- Go Gourmet in Grand Rapids
The West Michigan city's food scene is heating up, with local chefs and brewmasters capitalizing on the region's agricultural bounty.
- Get Inspired in Oslo
Norway’s stylish capital is bursting with art for everyone. Find world-class masterpieces, boutique hotels, and high-end galleries along with cutting-edge design shops.
- Get Cultured in Brussels
Belgium’s once-stuffy corporate capital has discovered its creative side, welcoming new cutting-edge galleries, concept shops, boutique hotels, and more.
The Travel Planner
- Forget Paris ... and London, and Berlin, and Beijing
Head to these lesser-known cities for equally fine wine, just-as-ancient architecture, and even-more-secret warehouse parties.
Beacon is host to a slew of new independent galleries, art cafés, and design stores.
Skip lobster in favor of the town’s vineyards, farm markets, and cooking schools.
The revitalized waterfront is packed with luxury hotels and great restaurants.
A crush of newly renovated hotels, boutiques, and off-the-beaten-path seafood spots are revitalizing the classic beach town.