All Reader Reviews of...
231 E. 5th St., New York, NY, 10003
nr. Second Ave.
For Sweet Tooths With Sky-High Standards
By nikitwocheese on 2/22/2012
Elspeth makes the best cupcakes in the city. Always fresh. Her delicate scones and homemade jam and cream are insane. I can't stop eating them. And I was surprised to discover her savory meals are also excellent. Love the little tarts with chai chicken or sausage or other delicious things. I'm never disappointed, and there's always something new for me to try. Tons of teas to choose from. Worth every penny. If you expect the best, check out Podunk.
No decency or hospitality
By NicoDahl on 3/28/2012
The woman who runs this may make wonderful scones and tea. I wouldn't know because she was so insanely rude to me when I came in that I never got to try them. Maybe she was having a bad day? Still not cool to take it out on innocent customers trying to patronize your establishment. Stay away!
By cjayeee on 10/1/2012
I agree with the review of 3/28/12. My friend and I passed this tea spot on our way to the bar/restaurant Death and Co. I cannot speak to the tea or food because after going in to check the place out, my friend and I were met by a surprisingly rude woman behind the counter that I understand is the owner. The woman was wearing clothes that I guess is traditional Scandinavian garb. You had to be there to understand how lacking in tact, manners and hospitality this woman was - my friend turned away immediately and began to walk out. I persuaded her to stay a bit longer, but walking out is what we did just a few minutes later. An inexplicable experience that did not add up. Aside from this woman, the place itself has an odd decor and lacks warmth - "sketchy" as my friend said. This spot is worth avoiding.
Delicious food, adorable atmosphere
By Homefreylf on 2/17/2013
This place is very quirky and cute, and the food is amazing! I've had both savory and sweet treats from this place and have been very pleased both times. It's not cheap, but the stuffed apricots and the scones are worth it! The woman who owns the place is lovely and will give you helpful recommendation if you're unsure what to order. The whole tea room is just lovely, I wish I had enough money to go every week!
Fantastic Food and Atmosphere
By norwoodi on 10/31/2013
I am a regular at this lovely establishment. The owner is always friendly and welcoming. She even allows us to always ask for our favorite stuffed apricots on dishes that don't normally have them! A++
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Introducing the Pie Sundae, Which You Can Go and Eat â€‹Right Now
- CafÃ© Henrie’s Light, Bright Dinner Menu Launches Tonight
- Mayor de Blasio Urges New Yorkers to Avoid Chick-fil-A
- FBI Apprehends Whole Foods Customer It Says Sprayed Mouse Poison in the Store
- Grim New Study Says Some Pacific Oysters Contain ‘a Cocktail of Pharmaceuticals’