All Reader Reviews of...
85 Water St., Brooklyn, NY, 11201
nr. Main St.
By liammiller80 on 1/18/2012
Absolutely disgusting level of service. I work nearby and popped over hearing good things about their soup and sandwiches. Opting for the $5.10 soup, I politely asked for some bread which is sometimes the norm with soup right? The blonde-haired woman behind the counter looked like I had just spat on her and said 'you didn't ask for bread', like I had meant to offend her, adding: 'it's an extra 65c', which I happily paid, only to be given the most measley little bit of stale roll I have ever seen. I probably looked a little disappointed and just said to the woman pretty objectively 'that's a lot of money you are charging for a tiny bit of bread.' She looked at me again like I had spat on her only this time that I also regularly abused her pet chihuahua with bread. She replied: 'you asked for bread [and there it is]' and actually looked really mad at me. Next time I'm going to somewhere that is polite to its customers and appreciates the fact they choose to go there and spend money. --- Shame I hear Jacques is a good guy and knows good food but his staff ruin what could probably be a great thing. Actually, the mushroom barley soup was genuinely pretty tasteless. Never going back, ever. Don't bother unless you like being berated for spending money and asking for food.
Raspberry Beignets are a little slice of heaven...
By bethmoore99 on 11/22/2010
I dropped in Sunday morning for a chocolate croissant and also bought a raspberry beignet. Holy Mother, it was delicious! Ridiculously so. I wanted to rush back in and buy the whole tray of them. Out of this world.
Great pastries, poor service
By swee2th on 4/4/2010
Not well run, but worth it anyway for the marvelous bread and pastries.
Daytime front desk
By Deegirl on 6/13/2008
I love the cookies and the baked goods, I really want to used them for our monthly morning meetings, but I have a problem with the girl. The girl in the morning is just too rude, and she never gets your order correct. She tried to tell you what you can or cant not have, and then puts a fake smile on her face. Some mornings I really want the baked wonderful baked goods, but the fact that I have to talk to her make me turn around and go to Bagel Delight. Sometimes I cant take and I have to go in and get my fix.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu