- READER REVIEWS
All Reader Reviews of...
984 Coney Island Ave., Brooklyn, NY, 11230
nr. Newkirk Ave.
By Sobeltone on 10/10/2011
Just had a great Afghani dinner at Bahar on Coney Island Ave. The food was really really delicious in every way. The service was wonderful- our waiter very sweet. The atmosphere was nice- nothing fancy, but also not a hole in the wall. The pumpkin turnovers were incredible- like nothing I have ever had. We will be going back for sure!
By marthagrace on 10/10/2008
Bahar's delivery was quick and they were willing to go slightly outside their boundary to deliver to my boyfriend's place. The pumpkin dumplings were great, especially with the yogurt sauce, and the juicy lamb kebabs and accompanying rice were wonderful as well. So happy to have discovered this place!
Worth a visit.
By laurenheath on 9/25/2008
I work in Long Island City so a friend and I decided it was worth a short drive to Coney Island Ave. to check out Bahar. I've had Afghani cuisine before, but not in New York. When my friend and I strolled up to the restaurant, our initial response was, "uh oh?". There was nobody in the restaurant and it was only 8pm. That's always a red flag for me, but then we remembered that it was a Jewish holiday and this was a very predominantly Jewish neighborhood. We set our stuff down and I headed to the ladies room and immediately thought, "I hope their kitchen is cleaner than their restroom". It was pretty gross. Then we met our waiter who was the first sign of light. He was fun, young, and had good advice about the food. **Try the Bolani Kadu, mashed pumpkin turnovers!** They come with a side of their yogurt sauce. Delicious! I had a lamb curry dish and my friend, a veggie curry dish. Both were really tasty! So, bottom line, I put the nasty image of the restroom out of my head and tried to focus on the best part; the food.
Good, inexpensive food
By plafleur on 8/18/2008
We were very impressed with Bahar. The place is clean and the decor is well done. The food was excellent. The kabobs were spiced exquisitely. Start small with the red sauce, it has some real bite.
Must-try on CIA
By brooklyn_girl on 5/11/2008
We tried Bahar based on the review here. Just moved into the neighborhood and we are so glad we tried this place! It's really great. We had the chicken with pomegranates and walnuts which was so good my dining partner was slurping up the juices after the chicken was gone. The "Bolani" (turnovers) are great, we especially liked the scallion but the sampler plate is fun if you have not had them before. The kebabs were as goo d as they say - don't miss them. They are well seasoned and juicy. The only downside is the decor - poor lighting and a big plasma TV playing Bollywood music videos don't add much. But worth it for the food!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Colonia Verde’s Next Sunday Asado Features Alex Raij and Fany Gerson
- Levain Bakery, and Its Tremendous Cookies, Are Moving to a Bigger Space
- Starbucks Introduces Nitrogen-Infused Cold Brew, Just Wants to Be One of the Cool Kids
- ‘Renegade’ Ice-Cream Trucks Terrorizing Mister Softee Drivers
- Classic Desserts Are Returning to New York Menus