All Reader Reviews of...
61 Lexington Ave., New York, NY, 10010
nr. 25th St.
You're Only 2 Miles from Chinatown...Go There
By Meglion on 3/31/2009
I discovered Banh mi sandwiches about 7 years ago and they were a revelation: crunchy and soft; sweet, spicy, and savory; cold and warm all in one glorious bite. Baoguette's version is fine if you're in the Curry Hill area and you've a hankering, but it doesn't hold a candle to those served at Banh Mi So 1 on Broome or Saigon Banh Mi on Elizabeth. To my knowledge, Banh Mi is served on a hero roll made partly with rice flour, which gives it a fluffy, airy lightness. Baoguette's bread did not have this special texture - it seemed to have the density of a typical baguette. The meats were fine combined with everything else but not very tasty individually (I kind of deconstructed the sandwich as I ate). On a positive side, the sandwich was generous in size and contained lots of fresh cilantro. Baoguette has a sandwich titled the "Sloppy Bao" that I'd return to try - beef in green curry and some other interesting ingredients - but I'll do my best from here on in to get my banh mi fix further downtown.
It was meh
By australianfoodlover on 7/7/2010
Food was really not that special. Their sandwiches are a travesty to the ones you get in Vietnam, and the place is overpriced. The redeeming thing about our meal was the papaya salad. However in saying all this, they did have fresh produce, but it was not authentic at all.
They need to work on it before I'll go back again
By Choodie on 12/22/2009
I've been eating these sandwiches for about 15 years now since I was living in So Cal. I came in for a classic but left with a classic and bbq chicken because they have a $10 min for $5-7 sandwiches. The BBQ chicken was pretty horrible theres this weird sauce that they put in it. Traditionally theres no sauce, its pate, baguette, sweet/sour pickled veggies, chilis, and your choice of filling. The BBQ chicken may be something their trying to do, to be original but in my opinion it sucks and I'd rather get bitten by a aids infected monkey than have another one. The classic contains BBQ Pork and cold cuts, its pretty good probably because I didn't taste any of that nasty sauce they put in the BBQ chicken. I really have nothing bad to say about it its just tasty.
NOT open 8am (at least on Sat)
By heroldra on 3/29/2009
I went to Baoguette at 10:30 and was told they opened at 11:00am. No one knew of the 8am listing here and on other sites. Returned a few minutes after 11am and was asked to "give us another 10-15 minutes and come back then." So instead I had a lovely breakfast at nearby Saravanna vegetarian. Still hoping to try Baoguette sometime. NOTE: This site forced me to give an overall rating so I chose poor because they were unable to take an order even when they said they opened.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- ‘Renegade’ Ice-Cream Trucks Terrorizing Mister Softee Drivers
- Classic Desserts Are Returning to New York Menus
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week