All Reader Reviews of...
10 Columbus Cir., 4th fl, New York, NY, 10019
nr. Eighth Ave.
By wwmillard on 9/20/2012
Beautiful place, crummy service, expensive , mediocre food.
Food is great - service is hit or miss
By CynicalSunshine5 on 2/27/2009
Bar Masa has become the "usual" spot to meet a friend of mine for a quick bite and to catch up, more because of it's convenient location than anything else. I really love the food - I'm no expert on Japanese cuisine, but I think the sushi is fresh and inventive and the noodle dishes I've tried are unlike anything else I've had. However I have found, on more than one occassion, that the service can either be very slow (with either food or check) and very lax - the employees should be more professional in their manner. On another occassion, the bartender was chipping blocks of ice loudly for the drinks - it was an irritatiing noise that made it difficult to carry out a conversation. On other nights the service was perfect. It's really hit or miss, but the food is always on target.
Food is now poor
By gourmandissimo on 11/20/2005
Food quality has apparently slipped. I have sampled Japanese cuisine in over 250 restaurants and service at Bar Masa was slack and unprofessional. But most disappointing was the food which was cooked in foul tasting oil. A disgrace to Japanese food.
they need a better manager
By beauty on 6/9/2005
I was there with two of my friends on a Thursday and it was quite busy at Bar Masa. The food was pretty good and matched up cheif Masa's fame. However the service was treeible. One of the servers as even talking on the cellphone while no one was cleaning our table. The manager-like guy was walking in and out for no reason. I meant, couldn't he see the waiter talking on the cellphone and couldn't him hire someone who would concentrate on the guests of the restaurant? I think Masa needs a better manager for that beautiful place. What a shame! Also, the bartender can not tell the difference among the sakes on the list! I was really turned down by the low qualified employees there. I hope to see the change, because I would like like to go back there for the food. Until then, I won't spend any money and time for such a price.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu