All Reader Reviews of...
175 Second Ave., New York, NY, 10003
nr. 11th St.
Avoid at all costs
By laurenjamison on 1/20/2012
This is the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. My boyfriend and I went to Bar Veloce for dinner on a Friday. We ordered wine, olives, a cheese plate, and a panini. After 25 disgruntling minutes we hadn't received our olives, water, or even bread to hold us over. Does it really take that long to put 10 olives in a bowl? 20 minutes later we still hadn't received the rest of our food. I asked the bus boy (who was working as a server) to which he had no reply. 10 minutes later our waiter finally approached and asked if we still wanted our panini and cheese plate. Seriously? Um yes we still wanted them, we had been waiting for them for an entire hour. Apparently "there had been a mix up in the kitchen". Thanks for noticing after an entire hour that we had no food. Upon receiving our food another 10 minutes later we were underwhelmed. The panini had an absurdly measly amount of prosciutto. When our waiter finally came to check on us we asked for more bread for our cheese (the bread to cheese ratio was off) and much to our dismay we received a bowl full of WONDERBREAD that had been toasted in a panini machine. Is the budget for your restaurant really so low that you can't give us normal bread? I even took a picture of it for proof of the atrocity. 15 minutes after finishing our meal my boyfriend lost his patience and went up to the bar to pay our check. I have never been so close to walking out on a check before. Spare your sanity.
By Aqua21885 on 12/21/2007
My biggest complaint here is the noise level, the music was played so loudly that my friend and I nearly had to shout to hear each other, and we almost left to go somewhere else. The wine selection is decent, but the sandwiches are nothing special.
By SHOPAHOLIC_ on 6/12/2007
Last night I asked for arugula instead of radicchio in my pressed sandwhich and I was informed by the owner, who was drunk off his own sense of self-importance and high from sniffing the wax in his mustache, that there are "no substitutions as a matter of principle; the recipes are perfect the way they are." Apparently they can't substitute one type of pretentious greens for another at Bar Veloce.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu