All Reader Reviews of...
21 E. 36th St., New York, NY, 10016
nr. Madison Ave.
Still in love after all these years
By Farah092002 on 3/14/2012
I have been dining at Barbes since they opened 8 years ago and I never tire of the place. It is consistent on all accounts - delicious food, good service and a charming atmosphere. For years now I have taken clients there for lunch, enjoyed countless dinners and have been lucky enough to celebrate momentous family occassions there. Either way, I always leave happy and with appreciation from the familial staff. Not many restaurants in NYC have a staff that gets to know the patrons, truly appreciates their continued business and treats regulars like VIP's.
By natpointema on 6/4/2008
We enjoyed our dinner @ Barbes during a short vacation in New-York. The food and cocktails (Mango breeze) were great and not overpriced. The service was excellent. We felt welcomed even tough it was late and came with a child. Nice decor, music and atmosphere also. Only glitch: the tip was automatically added in the bill. I think that tipping should be up to the client!
A real hidden gem
By MattP23 on 11/6/2007
Great food, great service and a more than pleasant atmosphere. I loved this place and will definately be returning. The lentil salad is a must, and the tagine's were terrific. Check out the cocktails also, some clever twists on originals. We arrived quite late in the evening and the restaurant wasnt full, but the atmosphere was still up there and the service was friendly and inviting. Well worth a visit.
Hip, lively, cozy. Flavorful food.
By Alice on 11/20/2005
Barbe has an interesting flavorful menu. The decor is cozy with a stylish Morrocan flair. Our entrees of tagine and couscous were both excellent. The lentil salad is very good with some interesting zing! Enjoyed the Moroccan cocktails and mint tea. It is great to have a moderately priced, hip lively restaurant in Murray Hill. Barbe caters to a sophisticated, established young-middle aged professional. Now I don't have to travel downtown for this type of atmosphere and food quality. Have been to Barbe twice. Will be back.
Great French Moroccan Bistro
By DrBruce on 10/11/2005
We stumbled upon it on our way to another restaurant and were so taken by the inviting atmosphere that we switched our plans. Wonderful uncommon food, great prices and wine list, charming waitresses. Go when it's not crowded and pray it stays undiscovered.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Dizengoff, Olmsted, GÃ¼nter Seeger, and More
- A Trailblazing Chef Arrives in NYC With This Ambitious New Restaurant
- Sauvage, From the Maison Premiere Team, Debuts in Greenpoint
- Australia Got Its Own Naked Restaurant
- Here’s What Bourdain Learned by Eating Noodles With President Obama