All Reader Reviews of...
37 W. 17th St., New York, NY, 10011
nr. Sixth Ave.
mediocre food and rude, rude, rude
By intimeagen on 2/20/2014
I just treated my GF and two clients to a surprisingly expensive meal at Basta Pasta. Although the food quality is fine, the portions are embarrassing. I ordered lamp chops for $26 and received (and this is not an exaggeration) two rather fatty, quarter-sized pieces of meat. Everyone at the table laughed uncomfortably when the dish was put in front of me. In apparent recognition of the paltry serving, the waiter brought a bowl of hot water indicating -- with some hesitation -- that I could gnaw on the bones before cleaning my fingers. But the worst was how rudely we were treated -- not by the primary server, a sweet, diligent woman -- but by a captain, an obnoxious man with a shaved head. After watching me sign a sizable bill (nearly $400 plus 20% tip), he loudly told us that our coats were waiting upfront. It was SO inappropriate and mean-spirited. Most importantly, it was completely uncalled for -- we were literally standing up and thanking our server. He had watched us enjoying ourselves for two hours and seemed frustrated despite the fact that no one was waiting for a table, and we were more than supporting our stay with ample orders. I approached him afterward and told him he was a very rude man. To this, he laughed. So fittingly unprofessional. I won't return to this place which, in my experience, treats its customers with contempt -- a very bad quality in any service business.
By EFY on 8/31/2009
Had dinner at Basta Pasta. The food was great and especially, the pasta was "al dente". The restaurant was extremely busy but the service was not slow and efficient. We took newborn baby, but that was no problem at all. We would definitely go back.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu