All Reader Reviews of...
219 E. 44th St., New York, NY, 10017
nr. Third Ave.
A Great Birthday Dinner!
By Earguy11 on 1/22/2011
A much delayed review. Annual steakhouse dinner for my daughter and three others in August found us at the Fifth Avenue Location. First of all don't overdo the appetizers. We had the bacon slices and then the House salad for two, which is made up of Shrimp, onions and more than enough bacon. We all agreed that the Porterhouse for four was the BEST steak we have had so far, even in comparison the the owners previous employer's. The sides were only average, but it may have been because we overdid the appetizers. Make sure to leave room for the steak! The waiter took it upon himself to lay out the desserts on one plate, with a candle, and grab some buddies for a Happy Birthday chorus. The eastern European accents made it precious! This is a GREAT steakhouse!! GO!
The Best Steak House in New York City!
By anonymous1000 on 1/21/2010
I have been to Ben & Jack's on both East 44th Street and on 5th Avenue, and the food is outrageous! In my opinion, this steak house is the best in the city. The meat is always tender and cooked to perfection, the seafood is always fresh and abundant, and should I mention the sides? Ben & Jack's serves my favorite creamed spinach and really knows how to make a potato special too - you can have the colossal baked potato, but if you're in the mood to be sinful, the german potatoes and cottage fries are a MUST! I will be hosting my birthday dinner there soon - they have the best private dining rooms. I recommend this steak house to everyone!
By pinaynj on 12/18/2009
This restaurant is a block away from work, so obviously very convenient for me. I have been there three times; the last one was yesterday when I treated a colleague to lunch. She requested a paper napkin as she didn't like the very stiff overstarched cloth napkin. The waiter (Jimmy) came back with small paper napkins used to lay glasses/drinks on at the bar. The napkins were used and dirty, with drink spots , on them and I complained to Jimmy about that -- he didn't even apologize for those dirty napkins. Both my colleague and I are non-white, and therefore, we felt discriminated against, or was it just an oversight on the waiter's part? This waiter, Jimmy, should have more training and learn to treat customers properly. The food was good though.
By timothy86 on 3/30/2009
The food is amazing! The steaks come out any way you like them and the sides are served family style. They give you so much food and it is so good. The restaurant is very quiet and relaxed and great for couples. The only reason it didn't get a 10 is because the decor is a bland. Otherwise it is great!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s