All Reader Reviews of...
420 E. 59th St., New York, NY, 10022
between First Ave. and Sutton Pl.
The rudest restaurant in New York City
By xingminlu on 2/15/2004
I have been to numerous restaurants in NYC, but was never treated the way I was as in Bouterin. I made a reservation for Valentine's Day, 2004 one month ahead. I even called on Feb. 13 to confirm. When I called to confirmed my reservation, the person in the retaurant said that he did not have the book with him. But he took down my name and phone number and told me if there was any problem with the reservation, he would call me. My wife and I arrived on time on Valentine's Day, but realized the restaurant lost my reservation. What was really upsetting was that the restaraunt would not admit that they made a mistake. Instead, they told me my name would have been on the list if I had made the reservation. So not only did they ruin my Valentine's Day plan, they insulted me by impling that I tried to sneak in without a reservation. Ladies and Gentlemen, if you don't want to get your special plans ruined, never go to Bouterins. They are rude and unprofessional.
Response to bad review
By spidor on 1/30/2004
I went to Bouterin for Valentines Day last year. First of all the restaurant is beautiful, there were fresh flowers everywhere. The food was unbelievable. To compare this to a French Deli (which he mispelled) is outrageous. Give this restaurant a shot....you will not be disappointed
overrated French Delli
By gompy_usa on 10/19/2003
Reading this editors comments about this restaurant, I decided to take my wife there for dinner. On Oct 18th we arrived at 7.45PM. The pomerol was sold out, which we exchanged for an excellent Haute Medoc. The pate ($13) was sold out and the waiter advised to replace it with the Foie Grass ($24). We further ordered the duck and osso bucco. The duck was black burned and the osso bucco very very salty. The food was rushed to us and at 9PM we were done! The bill came to $226 without tip. I advised the waiter that servicing the food this fast is not what people expect when they have dinner in Bouterin. He appologized and said that next time it would be better. I advised him: If the first time is not good, there will be no next time. This is an overpriced French Delli. There are many restaurants in the citi, go there and don't waste your money and time by going to Bouterin.. If you want fast food go to MacDonalds. Hope it remains a well kept secret.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu