All Reader Reviews of...
50 Carmine St., New York, NY, 10014
nr. Bedford St.
By rbz2378 on 10/11/2010
Went here for lunch with a friend today and thought the food was pretty excellent. Had micheladas (the best I've had in the city thus far, no doubt - the bartender obviously takes great care) and chips and guac, which for the record, was not spicy in the slightest. It was fresh, though nothing special. The chips were also served with a green tomatillo dipping sauce that was out of this world. I had braised pork belly tacos in tamarind sauce with jicama and apple slaw, which was also delicious (though I found the tortillas a bit mealy after being drenched in tamarind sauce). My friend had huevos rancheros and ate every last bite. Th waiter was friendly and attentive and explained the menu and specials adequately. I'll definitely go back, worth if if only for the drinks and tomatillo sauce!
By KD20 on 3/2/2009
Went there after work w/ a few friends...wanted to try the best drinks they could make us and we weren't dissapointed. They take serious pride in their cocktail making. If the complementary chips and guac don't fill you up, order some of the small tacos to keep yourself upright(bartender Kwame tries his best to tip you over with his good yet well proportioned drinks)...
Will be going back soon!
By dd9955 on 10/22/2008
Finally! Great Food, Staff, cocktails and Atmosphere. I go for the green chili and margarita's. Beans can be a bit salty but other than that there isn't a bad dish on the menu. The person who wrote that the guac was too spicy is crazy, it's perfect. Great for groups.
Skip the food
By topnotch212 on 5/18/2009
I would recommend skipping the food and sitting at the bar with a pitcher of margaritas! I would skip the Cabrito NO WAY was it worth $26 very small if two people want to share. We had pulled pork and fish tacos, they were average, nothing to brag about. My gfriend had the chicken since she does not eat meat, I am not a huge fan of any chicken dish, but this was good! The coconut rice was so good and should be offered as a side. But overall I would go just for the margaritas! We had a watermelon pitcher and it was fantastic. * there are a lot of other great date places..I say skip.
Take it or leave it
By ip17268 on 8/22/2008
If you're not interested in being wow-ed this is an ok place to grab a quick bite... definitely not overly appealing--- for one, the tables are covered in clear plastic, which is personally not my taste. The guacamole was ok but VERY spicy--- more so than I would say guacamole should be.... the tacos were mediocere and trying to be a bit too "fancy" for a whole-in-the-wall kind of place.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu