All Reader Reviews of...
90 Madison Ave., New York, NY, 10016
at 29th St.
By gracenyc on 11/29/2007
David Rockwell did a superb job with the interiors. but the fun stopped there. we sat at the Cafe at Country. OMG. so terrible. we sat FOREVER, waiting for everything: our first drinks, our appetizers, and our main course. I think by 2 hours, our main arrived, and my husband and I looked at each other, and starting laughing in disbelief that we actually WAITED for what we were looking at! he ordered ravioli and there were only like FIVE small pieces on his plate. and I ordered some tuscan chicken dish, and it was just a piece of cooked chicken! and then we did something i've never, ever done before. we just got up without paying and walked over to the manager to complain about our unbelievable experience. he was a great listener, and was very apologetic, and asked us to come back for another dinner on them (er, I don't think so). He also waived our bill and I was incredibly relieved. We hopped in a cab and went to Red Cat, because we were still starving.
Nice place to look at, sucky service and small portions
By Dqwerty on 7/20/2007
The food turned out to be mediocre, the portions very small, and the service abominable. Once our waiter took our order, he never showed up again. When I commented on that, he pointed to all the crowds and said it was really busy. Actually, at these prices, "It is really busy" does not cut it. The waiter never bothered to show up at least once, to ask how dinner was and if we needed anything. As for the food, in general it was OK, but the portions were pathetically small. My wife's salmon for $25 was literally a sliver of salmon. My brother's duck salad had about 5 leaves of arugula and 5 slices of duck breast. Overall, three appetizers, three main courses and 3 beers ran us $180. So, lesson learned, bang for the buck is not what this place is. Go for a drink, enjoy the beautiful place, especially the upstairs (the downstairs is rather gloomy), and go to 11 Madison Park to have a nice dinner with impeccable service.
Fantastic New Dining Experience
By ra1 on 10/25/2005
The location of The Cafe at Country can not be better. The David Rockwell design is magnificent. The food, service and atmosphere are superb. We loved the music in the background. Highly recommend the Ribs, and one of the best Foie Gras terrines and lobster soups in the city. Geoffrey Zakarian's new restaurant delivers above expectations in all areas. Highly recommend it!!!
Great Place and Wondeful Service
By AA1 on 10/25/2005
The David Rockwell design is superb, as well as the food and service. Such great attention to details! Highly recommend it!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- CafĂ© Henrie’s Light, Bright Dinner Menu Launches Tonight
- Mayor de Blasio Urges New Yorkers to Avoid Chick-fil-A
- FBI Apprehends Whole Foods Customer It Says Sprayed Mouse Poison in the Store
- Grim New Study Says Some Pacific Oysters Contain ‘a Cocktail of Pharmaceuticals’
- Hundreds of Frozen Foods at Costco, Walmart, and Trader Joe’s Recalled Over Listeria Fears