All Reader Reviews of...
174 Elizabeth St., New York, NY, 10012
nr. Spring St.
Lovely Hidden Gem
By learsi on 12/23/2012
My BF and I have been here twice and enjoyed the food and service on both visits. Friendly staff makes you feel welcome and the food is fresh and delicious.
By akymbo on 8/18/2011
Just like (almost) every other Californian who moves to New York, I miss good Mexican food. Cafe el Portal does the trick! Prices aren't too bad, food is delicious, and the cucumber margarita is fabulous! The service was a little off the last time I went, but usually isn't anything to complain about. It is a super small space, though, so going on an off night is best if you don't want to wait for too long.
By Lorena on 10/19/2004
This place is a hidden gem. The food was GREAT. Margaritas-YUMMY!! You have to check it out for yourself-even if it's just for a margarita and chips-n-salsa.
And the Mexicans said "OH MY GOD!"
By Gnewey on 7/14/2004
I was with a few Mexican friends. And they were thrilled with the real "local" delicacies/cocktails that are rarely served here. We loved the food, the hearty portions, the great staff, the price. A small casual place, usually a wait, but worth it.
great neighborhood spot, even if you're not from the 'hood!
By knews9 on 8/1/2003
the food was good and fresh--not mind blowing, but GOOD, which in my book is not so easy to come by, esp. if it's mexican and you're in new york. it's a cheap, warm spot with lots of personality...enjoy! and they have hard liquor, too.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu