All Reader Reviews of...
242 Mott St., New York, NY, 10012
at Prince St.
Favorite cafe in Manhattan
By colebops on 9/22/2006
Clearly, other reveiwers have not tried Gitane's roasted chicken sandwich...by far, the best sandwich in Manhattan. Agreed the service is hurried, but only because this small space has to deal with the throngs of fans outside.
By outrageddiner on 3/31/2005
i've been going to this restaurant for 10 years. the hostess tonight was unblieveably rude. but worse than that, she put a very hot plate on our table without any warning. i burned my finger badly on the hot plate and she proceeded to blame me! no apology, no concern. it was an outrage. needless to say, i'll never step foot near the place again. be warned. as cool and hip as they pretend to be, they'll put a burning plate on your table and won't care a bit if you hurt yourself.
Lettuce gone to brown mush.
By jockeyhollow on 3/28/2005
Last Thursday I lunched at the tres chic, Cafe Gitanes on Mott Street. I suppose that the line of "swell" guys and their "dates" (for lunch no less) should have been a tip off to go elsewhere...but my companion insisted on the "eye candy" provided by a dining area filled with young beautiful girls. We were ignored by the counter staff for a full 10 minutes, while surrounding diners received bread, sliced directly in front of us. Finally we were given menues, we ordered and the waiting began all over again. The Greek Salad Foccaccia which I ordered had wilted "baby" greens that may have dated to the Nixon Administration. They were slimy and brown and they tainted the equally slimy eggplant and (grey) tomato concasse. My lunch companion choked down a Tuna Seviche "salad" that validated the axiom of ...Never eat the special that includes fish. Especially when that fish was marinated AFTER it went bad! Buyer Beware!
Very rude service
By Carys on 12/27/2004
One of the Asian looking, male waiters is so terribly rude! He has the worst attitude. Most of the hostesses are snotty too. Horrible service and attitudes from the staff.
Snooty and Full of Attitude
By Poonam on 11/4/2004
Very non co-operative service not flexible at all. Though food and the environment is great they can rub you on the wrong side and make the experience not so pleasurable one!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu