All Reader Reviews of...
380 Lafayette St., New York, NY, 10003
nr. Great Jones St.
By akc on 5/22/2007
Full disclosure: I grew up eating Cantonese food. I agree that the dim sum is good. The turnip cake was better than most dim sum places, as it wasn't oily and came with a nice dipping sauce. The rest of the food was really average. I paid $25 for a steamd red snapper. I thought I'd get the whole fish; instead I got just one filet. Not exactly family style servings, despite what the server claimed.
This Restaurant Gets an Undeserved Bad Rap!
By gustoct on 12/27/2006
I don't know if it's because it has the effrontery to serve non-exotic Chinese food in straining-to-be-hip surroundings at above Chinatown prices and within a mile of Chinatown or what, but everybody seems to want to dis this place. In fact, Joe Ng's dim sum may be the best in town, if with less selection than Sunset Park. The rest of the food is unadventurous but extremely good, Some is real Cantonese and some is of the-best-eggroll-you-ever-had ilk. The barbecued meats and Peking Duck are superb. But the decor tries too hard, the noise level is high (perhaps I'm just too old) and the service is almost laughably disorganized, except that it's not funny when you actually need it. The problem is not attitude but plain old lack of system and training. Bottom line, this is excellent Cantonese food and upscale enough for an occasion, which Oriental Garden or the best of Flushing or Sunset Park are not.
By lawrencehigh on 11/20/2006
After a long wait with a reservation they tried to seat us at a 2 person table with three people. The food was average and not worth the wait.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s