All Reader Reviews of...
50 Commerce St., New York, NY, 10014
nr. Bedford St.
By sport10010 on 3/30/2008
Read a bunch of reviews about Commerce. Mostly mixed. Significant other insisted on trying it out. It does not measure up. What is the point of a reservation if they don't honor it? Not that it wasn't in the system, it just didn't matter. Want to get stuck at the bar for a long wait? Overpriced and over hyped. Not worth the time. There are plenty of other excellent restaurants within a short walk. The only thing this place has going for it is the interior but unfortunately you can't eat good looks. This one will be gone before long.
A welcome addition to Commerce St.
By linrtt on 3/25/2008
Two must haves: pretzel and chicken. I cannot remember the last time I've raved about chicken, but the chicken at Commerce is perfectly prepared. Super tender and goes perfectly with potato pure, mushrooms and a fantastic sauce. The bread basket they serve here has already gotten its fanfare, but I'd just echo that the pretzel here deserves all the hype it's gotten. If you take just one thing from the bread cornucopia, pick the pretzel. We got the peanut butter mousse and celery for dessert, which I liked, but would opt to something more chocolatey next time. The atmosphere might come off as stuffy to some, but this restaurant has (fortunately) not made it onto the NYC hype circuit and remains decently low key for now. Bottom line: go now before it's too late.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- 12 Session Beers That Are Perfect for Summer Guzzling
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument