All Reader Reviews of...
103 W. 77th St., New York, NY, 10024
nr. Columbus Ave.
By Salt_and_Pepper on 3/14/2008
This was one of our biggest dining disappointments in a long time: We really disliked the service: Our amuse was dropped with no description. The food could not have come out of the kitchen more quickly, VERY rushed. After we were finally able to track down someone to take our wine order (mid-way through our first course) our red wine came out VERY warm. When we flagged down (not easily) our waitress to have this fixed she asked us if we wanted it at "cellar temperature". We were annoyed. It should have come that way (or 63 degrees) without asking. Our dinners came out within five minutes of clearing our first course. At no time during our meal did anyone stop by to ask how we were enjoying our food or whether we need anything. We had the brussel sprout leaf salad w/ dry flavorless cheese, and way too much truffle oil. The pork belly was very good.Delicious. The duck was cooked nicely, but we really disliked the flavor profile-an overly sweet sauce with nothing to balance it. We also had the monkfish with lobster and foie gras. Another big miss ($36). About $135 plus tip. SoDisappointing.
Pretentious without the means to their ambitions
By VaninaG on 7/2/2009
Anyone who doesn't mistake complication for complexity, attitude for chic, silly for fun should avoid this place at all costs. The basement room is bleak, but the crowded room upstairs, for which you will have to wait a long time at the most uncomfortable bar, is not much better. The waiter messed up the orders, the lobster was undercooked in a sickening way, the wine list was overpriced, and the desserts were simply foul (why make hibiscus ice cream? It was sour, not sophisticated; as for beer ice cream... it was an insult to both ice cream and beer. And to all the sweet tooths of mankind. Seriously, go to 81 instead.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Ana Gasteyer Loves a Good Mint Julep
- Starbucks New ‘Secret’ Drink Is a Ghastly Purple Nightmare
- World’s Worst Customer Injures Himself and 4 Others After Accidentally Firing His Gun at a Restaurant
- A Chef Explains Why He’s Suddenly Closing His Much-Loved Brooklyn Restaurant
- More Whole Foods Products Recalled Over Food-Safety Fears