All Reader Reviews of...
174 Fifth Ave., New York, NY, 10010
nr. 22nd St.
Pass on this greasy spoon
By lyokellocal on 12/20/2011
Like a previous reviewer, I very much wanted to like the place. I certainly didn't mind its run-down appearance, indeed it adds to its potential charm. But it is potential squandered, as the shabby decor does little to distract from the larger problem of cockroaches. Bacon stored in a bowl by the floor? Pass. While I appreciate that a run-down diner is generally going to have a few unwanted guests, I could not help but seriously question the sanitary conditions. The food was mediocre at best, and the obligatory wall of celebrity photographs (posing with I presume the owner?) merely gave the impression of an establishment striving for relevance.
Wanted to like this place but...uh....no.
By FlatironRon on 9/16/2009
After seeing this place highlighted on one of the food channels, and having recently moved to the Flatiron District, I was eager to check this place out. It had all the great makings of a great little dive place for breakfast or lunch but, alas...the food just down right sucked. The borcht was definately out of a jar. Watery and tasteless. And what they advertised as potato pancakes were nothing more than frozen hashbrowns. The meat sandwiches were bland and palid. One high point: enjoyed the eggcream.
Vegetarian chopped liver...And it's great!
By gyrlapple on 3/23/2009
Yes - that's what I said! Vegetarian chopped liver - it's finally here. The best I've ever had. Go go go and get it while you can. It's fantastic. What a nice addition to this restaurant.
I LOVE This Place
By cathycva on 7/29/2004
I recently discovered Eisenberg's Sandwich shop and I absolutely love this place. I am looking forward to going back again very soon. I sat at the counter and was treated like a queen. I had the house special sandwich, the combination egg salad and tuna salad sandwich, and it was delicious! It was huge too. I was so full by the time I left there, and the bill was extremely reasonable. So much has changed in New York over the years, some good, and some bad, but thank goodness that this little gem of a place that stands across the street from the Flatiron Building, is still here as a welcome haven back to old New York.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- The Future of Vegan Food Could Include Artificial Oysters and Veggie-Based Blue Cheese
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long