All Reader Reviews of...
108 Stanton St., New York, NY, 10002
at Ludlow St.
So Much Swagger
By liquidsilverarms on 10/4/2010
After visiting the hat the other night with friends, I can conclude that the bar does not only serve delicious kamakazis, but also has an unparalleled "youth-friendly" atmosphere later in the night. Though it may be difficult to see beyond the dirty bathrooms, unlit holiday lights and christian iconography; if you really let yourself enjoy the place, an abundance of swag can be found. I do not recommend consuming any food items.
By tharrison5 on 10/4/2010
this restaurant has character. i love it.
Its good because its there
By JoeyNYC on 6/21/2007
This place is not rosa mexicana but it is way better then a 4. Its about the whole situation. You can eat with friends and have a great time getting loose on the very good margaritas. Are you going to find a sea bass in mole sauce baked in parchment here? NO. will you have a great time and cheap tasty meal ? Hell Yeah! Viva The hat!!!
Get drunk with friends! Eats, feh!
By shamrock on 1/20/2003
The ear-splitting, consciousness-erasing Latin jukebox here is one of the many love-hate reasons to go to "The Hat". NEVER call it "El Sombrero! One of the only places where Latinos and whites mix on the LES, The Hat is rumored to use grain alcohol in its margaritas -- and you'll believe it after you knock back a couple of these babies. No rocks, no up -- only frozen. Hmmm... The food here functions exclusively as liquor absorbency. There is no reason to eat here unless you're worried about passing out -- though the soupy, spicy salsa is slightly worthwhile. The endlessly patient, fun staff humors the increasingly gentrified crowd who think it's "hysterical". Make sure you show up with someone who can support your weight later on when they have to carry you to Houston and stuff you into a cab. Arriba!
By pinkcloud on 1/29/2003
I've been asking myself for years: Why is this place so popular? I could understand it 10 years ago when it was one of only a few restaurants in the area. But folks, there are plenty of other, better options now. Take advantage of them. Come only for the drinks.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu