All Reader Reviews of...
105 First Ave., New York, NY, 10003
nr. 6th St.
I Wake up Scared Every Day | Chef Alex Stupak of Empellon Cocina
By Jlongano on 8/16/2012
I went to Empellon Cocina on Monday night this week and was lucky enough to meet Chef Alex Stupak... his restaurant was incredible and his own personal story, extremely inspiring. This guy wakes up scared every day! He inspired me to write a blog review of his restaurant with a sneak peak into his own life as well. Check it out: (http://www.julieanne.com.au/2012/08/i-wake-up-scared-every-day-chef-alex-stupak-of-empellon-cocina/) Copy paste link between brackets into your browser URL area. So, 10/10 rating, it's interesting to see the outcome of when someone risks everything in search of their dream... which in this case, is to be challenged every single day.
By SBNY on 2/18/2013
When my boyfriend and I sat down at a table in Empellon Cocina during the recent snowstorm, the gracious maitre d' welcomed us with mezcal, "as a thank-you for weathering the storm". We loved the vibe of the restaurant: beautiful Mexican decor (even in the restrooms) with a hip touch which included the music. The elegantly served pistachio guacamole was very good and our main courses -- monkfish with baked plantain and duck breast with beets -- were delicious. I look forward to going back!!
My experience and observation
By MargitZsedely on 12/30/2012
My friend wanted to take me out for brunch and I choose Empellon Cocina on New York magazine recommendation. I ordered the mushroom with egg white and when I asked the waiter to change it to the complete egg - he said no problem. I was pleased with the service. The food was good. I asked for some bread but I was told that there is no bread only tortilla; corn or flower. It arrived when my food was almost finished. I also wanted to have a plain tomato juice and I was told that they don't have it, the tomato juice is premixed for Bloody Mary. When it came to the desert, I was told that the only desert they have was the donut in different fillings. My friend and I decided we are not coming back here
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu