All Reader Reviews of...
235 E. 4th St., New York, NY, 10009
nr. Ave. B
2 hour wait with reservation
By betaaqa on 2/6/2007
Maybe they still need to work out the "kinks" but regardless I'm not going back. The reason is that we had a reservation was at 8:30 and didn't sit down to eat until 10:30. You might wonder why we bothered to wait that long. It was something called the "airline syndrome." In other words, they told us several times that "it will only be 10 minutes, you are the *next* table!" Then 45 minutes would go by and we were still languishing without a table. We'd query and get another optimistic answer; only to wait another interminable period. A couple times we noticed that other people sat down who weren't there before us. The first time the excuse was that it was a six-top. The second time: "those people talked to the owner." It was appalling! If only they had been honest with us from the start we would have left. In the end I have to say that the wait staff was very nice, but I was so exhausted from the ordeal I never want to see the place again...
Well Worth the Wait!
By gilmank on 11/28/2006
The space is really well done, the service is genuinely friendly and helpful and the food is everything a gastro-pub can be. I had the lamb cassoulet as the main course which was sort of a deconstructed "cassoulet" so you could taste each of the really delicious ingredients independently. The hosts were very gracious and I'm really pleased with the wine list which is full of great values. I'm already planning my return visit so I can try the items on the menu that I couldn't sample. This place is pretty special and I eat out a lot.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s