All Reader Reviews of...
688 Columbus Ave., New York, NY, 10025
nr. 93rd St.
Seriously, how can people like the food here?
By Uwsdad93 on 8/18/2012
Great outdoor terrace, fantastic cold beer, good chips and salsa but that's where it stops. Everything pretty much tastes the same, slightly burnt corn tortillas with the same ingredients all fried. I usually feel nauseous after eating here. While there is a dearth of decent Mexican in the city,there are way better places locally. I'd recommend Frida's or Coscabel anytime.
Authentic Mexican UWS
By UWSFVP on 11/21/2010
Gabriela's was a wonderful find for us. We love Mexican but hate to deal with the Rosa Mexicana crowds. Gabriela's food was authentic and delicious. It's has the traditional Mexican family restaurant feel but with upscale service and decor. We can't wait to go back. Enjoy!
Solid New York Mexican
By colpo on 5/22/2003
Ok, so its not Santa Fe or Tuscon. It's still pretty darn good by local Mex standards at these prices. First, I love the cheeseball hyper-color decor - its what I know when it comes to this food. Others may prefer the high ceilings of the Lincoln Center Rosa Mexicana; they can have them (guac demands low ceilings!) Here, they aborted the menudo prematurely; I was disappointed when I could no longer get my tripe soup fix. The eggplant appetizer is well done. The basic soft tacos are vibrant and satisfying. The roast chicken (get a mole on the side) is better than you think. A little too bright at dinner, but get a wedge of three-milk cake and be quiet.
Looks can be deceiving
By kimbyrocks on 5/13/2003
From the outside this place looks like a dive, but the constant crowds drew me in. If not for the hokey decor, I think this could be one of the best Mexican places in the city. The food was really wonderful, but the atmosphere was so lacking that I think I'll have to limit myself to take out in the future.
Serious Mexican and a bang for your buck
By LizaTremblay on 1/27/2003
Though a little tacky and certainly not understated in decor or cuisine, Gabriela's is a great place for eat-in or take-out if you like resonable prices, delicious, and oh-so-fattening Mexican food.
By Destiny78 on 1/7/2003
The one word I can use to describe Gabriela's is fulfilling. The food is great...I usually stick to the enchiladas, but they offer such a wide variety on their menu. I once sat next to a couple who seemed to have been eating a roasted chicken dish and I just fell in love with the smell of it. The service here is top notch. All of the wait staff greet you with a smile and cater to your every need (especially someone like me who needs a refill of tortillas and salsa like every five minutes). The prices are very reasonable. They even have an early dinner menu in which for under 12 bucks, you get a meal plus a margarita. What more can you ask for?
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Classic Desserts Are Returning to New York Menus
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations