All Reader Reviews of...
402 W. 44th St., New York, NY, 10036
nr. Ninth Ave.
Would never return
By eatliberally on 11/23/2009
I have to admit, the food wasn't too bad, but I would never go back here because of the service. Our waitress wasn't attentive at all, but that wasn't the big problem. The manager was down-right rude to us (for example, the credit card machine was broke, so he literally threw our credit cards back at us), and he was openly condescending to his staff in front of us (such as snapping at his busboys). There's plenty of good Italian in the city, I don't need to bring my business to a place that treats people poorly.
By hgray01 on 8/30/2009
I loved this place and I can be very picky about just the right food, price, and ambiance. Great wine. Loved the bruschetta, the cheese plate and my truffle mushroom risotto was divine. Nice decor/mood too and didn't break the bank. And very attentive service without hovering.
Great for an after work drink
By curbs on 6/18/2009
It is hard to find a nice wine bar for a post work drink, but this definitely hits the spot. A great wine list and really nice setting - much better than being perched at a restaurant bar. This place is fabulous and I look forward to my next visit.
we loved it , as Italian as Italy!
By dme13 on 6/16/2009
the wine , the food the cozy atmosphere! loved it.
Really terrible food
By suigeneris on 11/2/2008
For a place that has a nice look and ambience, it was surprising to find the cooking so careless. The toppings on the bruschetta (mushrooms, white beans, tomatoes) were not just cold, they were icy. The pumpkin risotto was actually a lukewarm rice soup with flavorless pumpkin bits. At one point, the waiter actually poured a bottle of sparkling water into my glass of wine. We were too afraid to order dessert.
Not the worst, but I see no reason to return
By bb10065 on 10/25/2008
We weren't seated until 30min after our reservation, and when we were finally seated, the table was missing various parts of the table settings which weren't brought to us for another 10min. Although the food came out in a reasonable amount of time, it was very bland and overcooked. This place might make it in a small town, but considering how many restaurants there are in the city, I see no reason to return to Gallo Nero again.
A gem for pre-theater dining
By koconnor on 10/10/2008
Adorable and great food! Watch out for too much good wine before the show or you might get sleepy
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu