All Reader Reviews of...
20 Battery Pl., New York, NY, 10004
at West St.
By ClCl on 7/18/2010
I am not writing to review this restaurant - the setting is lovely and the food and service are decent. I am writing because my husband and I took my sister here when she was visiting. We, like the rest of the patrons on a warm, busy Sunday evening, sat on the outside patio. My sister went inside to use the bathroom and while she was waiting to get in she was cornered and verbally accosted by two men her called her a c--t, a s--t, and told her to lift up her skirt, etc., etc. She was trapped between them and the locked bathroom door and managed to get through them and escape. It sickens me to think of what could have happened were the bathroom door unlocked. They were able to do this because all of the staff was outside the restaurant at the time. When we told the management and staff, they knew exactly who we were talking about because these guys are regulars at this restaurant - apparently they live nearby - it was a large black guy and large white guy (vague description I know but the staff will know who we are referring to). I am writing this in hopes that not only will these guys be banned from the restaurant, but so the restaurant changes their policy and makes sure that there is a staff member inside the restaurant at all times. These guys aside, the bathroom is right beside a set of unmanned and unlocked doors leading to the outside and anyone could come in from outside and potentially attack someone alone in this part of the restaurant or in the restroom.
bring your flashlight
By bmcconne on 8/16/2009
We had such a wonderful saturday lunch with family that we went back again on a friday night. We had an 8:30 reservation. It was dusk and we could not read the menu. Several tables were using cell phones to light it. They finally brought a teeny candle that did nothing. My husband, across from me was completely blacked out. Neither of us could see our food...at all!!! It completely ruined the experience. The food was excellent but I would not go back again unless it was in the daytime. It seemed ridiculous that a restaurant that nice, with that good of food, couldn't figure out a better lighting solution.
Terrific view and tasty food
By RochReader on 7/2/2008
It should first be noted that the restaurant does not serve sandwiches or pizza, as shown on the take-out menu online here. My party of 5 had a wonderful lunch on the patio with a magnificent view of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the boats passing by. Service was polite but aloof. The food was great--my pear and arugula salad was yummy, and the rest of my party loved their entrees. We passed around several desserts, to unanimous acclaim.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument
- IHOP Staffers Turned Their Entire Restaurant Into an All-out Brawl