All Reader Reviews of...
170 Mercer St., New York, NY, 10012
nr. Houston St.
excellent soba house
By squid on 1/17/2003
This is a special restaurant: a Japanese soba house. It specializes in soba, buckwheat noodles, although other dishes are available but not steak and potatos, just sushi and Udon soups and a few other Japanese specialties including a nice selection of tempura. Service is gracious and efficient and helpful. Decor is simple and clean with beautiful floral and plant arrangements that change with the seasons, sometimes spectacular. A neat selection of sake is available, expecially cold in traditional wooden boxes. The soba is made on premises in front of you and comes as hot soups and cold with dipping sauces. Chopped chicken meatballs are a favorite appetizer of many as is the sushi and there is good selection of other appetizers. Deserts are few but good. This is an unusual and delicious refuge. While you won't find steak and potatos here you may find a celebrity near by enjoying the delicious food.
Best Kept Secret
By CityPixie on 3/26/2003
Ask New Yorkers "where can you find the best sushi?" and the answers are predictable: Nobu, Nextdoor Nobu, Japonica, Sushi Den. I disagree. Honmura An trumps them all with high quality sushi, beautiful authentically Japanese decor, knowledgeable service and lovingly created fresh soba. Don't miss the chef's choice menu, as it showcases all that is good about this SoHo secret.
A memorable culinary experience
By Mirra on 6/18/2003
I haven't been a Soba fan until I was invited for dinner at Honmura An. Finally I understood why in Japanese tradition, making Soba is a form of art. Every ingredient is fresh and is imported from the right part of the world. excelent Uni (sea urchin). Wonderful sake selection & great service. Very recomended for friendly occasions, whenever you are looking for quality.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- 12 Session Beers That Are Perfect for Summer Guzzling
- Silicon Valley Start-Up Working to Create a World Where All Pizza Is Cooked by Robots
- Japanese Chain Debuts Predictably Bonkers Ghostbusters Burgers
- Brooklyn’s Take Root Will Host Its First Designer Pop-up This Weekend
- The Stonewall Inn Is Now a National Monument