All Reader Reviews of...
188 Ludlow St., New York, NY, 10002
at Houston St.
Best Gelato in NY
By Luus on 8/29/2007
This is the best gelato in NYC. Try the fig and olive oil flavors. Amazing!
By CityPixie on 7/20/2007
Okay, I'll admit it. I have a micro-crush on the owner who is there scooping on a regular basis. Anyone this passionate about gelato deserves a cult following. My husband and I (yes, he's aware of my crush, but he loves the gelato, so he indulges me) make a weekly pilgrimage to il laboratorio del gelato from the west side to get our fix. The flavors change all the time, so it is hard to develop a favorite, as you might not see that special flavor again for a year or two! They are very generous with the samples here, so if you are keen to taste basil gelato but don't want to commit to a full scoop of it, they will give you a taste. Don't be greedy though! There's usually a line of us waiting out the door! During a recent visit to Whole Foods on Houston & Bowery, I was thrilled to find a il laboratorio del gelato station since WF is open much later than the shop on Orchard.
By temper on 11/2/2005
intense flavors and the vanilla is out of this world.You must try the assorted sorbets.Jon was there and very friendly....
wow - worth the price.
By milic13 on 4/25/2005
this is amazing gelato. the taste justifies the price. i'll be ordering some pints to be delivered for sure.
Try for yourself; this gelato is heavenly
By Blythe on 7/30/2004
The density, level of sweetness, and classic flavors (ie dark chocolate, toasted almond, vanilla, mint chip, and coffee) of this gelato are competitive for both NYC and Italy. It is pricey and the owner unfriendly, but this gelato is worldclass. Worth the trek.
what is new about this?
By littlebirde on 7/17/2003
There is not much original here. Seems like, with the exception of being based in NYC, there is not much difference from other company he started? There are other local gelato companies that are much better. Media will be sick of it soon...
Legit Gelato, Legit Italian Chops
By colpo on 4/24/2003
This is not Sedutto Redux. This place has a terrific imagination and execution when it comes to a host of ice cream flavors. Flavors ring true, and the gelatos' texture is spot on. When I went, there was not one flavor I wasn't inclined to try and to enjoy. A great little addition to "Only in NYC".
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More