All Reader Reviews of...
337 E. 49th St., New York, NY, 10017
nr. First Ave.
By KarenMcK on 3/26/2011
This place is spectacular. They recently renovated the interior. It is all white inside with an all glass faÃ§ade. I can't wait to see it when the weather gets nicer. The service, as always, is outstanding. Our waiter was friendly without being intrusive; he was more than happy to explain the menu and specials. I have to first rave about all the pastas: Ravioli stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese in a truffle cream sauce was TO DIE FOR. Strasinati with lamb ragu was so flavorful and the meat was so tender. My favorite was the tuna and ricotta cheese ravioli with tomato sauce, tarragon and ginger. Simply mouth watering. For entrees, one dish was better than the next: the tuna was perfectly cooked; the branzini was super moist and flavorful; I cannot rave enough about the lamb chops with pomegranate sauce, also perfectly cooked, but the pomegranate added that something special. The dish that completely wowed me was the sea bass with the lobster sauce and baby shrimps. The fish was so flakey and moist and all the flavors melted together perfectly. Passion fruit soufflÃ©. If they have it, order it. I have been coming here for years. I love this place. And I love introducing my foodie friends to Il Postino. Watching the expression on their faces when they taste the food is priceless.
Wow what a surprise! Even better than I remembered!!
By Nycdiva314 on 3/5/2011
I used to come to this restaurant when it first opened, then I moved out of the city and hadn't been back for a long time. I decided to try it regardless of the bad reviews. Well the restaurant has gone through a major facelift the decor is modern and elegant. The food was superb. We had the risotto with champagne and crabmeat to start and the rack of lamb with a delicate pomegranate sauce, which melted in your mouth! The desserts where to die for we shared, the warm pear tart and a chocolate souffle OMG!! Simply the best meal even better than I remembered. I don't normally write reviews, but after our meal couldn't not write one! There where no surprises we got a menu and the daily specials menu (description & prices.) The service was attentive but not overbearing, simply a wonderful experience! We will be back very soon!!
Overpriced for what it is
By brittanycarcova on 8/16/2010
Don't get me wrong the food and wine were tasty and enjoyable but this is New York and good northern Italian food and some nice wines are a dime a dozen. Here however, the cost seems almost 3 times that of similar counterparts. After getting a $650 bill for a party of two, I decided my date was more interested in impressing me with the size of his wallet then his genuine knowledge of good cuisine. That is the kind of place Il Postino is... the problem is money doesn't always buy good food.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s