All Reader Reviews of...
348 Wythe Ave., Brooklyn , NY, 11211
nr. S. 2nd St.
By libellula.cv on 9/1/2014
Nice atmosphere and alluring interiors by the talented Taavo Somers. Could imagine the place to be quite cosy on a snowy day with it's wood burning stove and wooden ambiance. But despite all the hype and raves from friends and reviews, I was disappointed in the quality of the food. Everything from the tomato minted soup, to the fingerling potatoes and salad were over salted. The grilled corn sopping in oil. It was as if they were hiding the true flavors of their food in the usual catch and draw of salt/fat. Too bad.
Good. Different. Pricey for the 'hood.
By EpicallyHarshed on 11/30/2011
The menu is small/pre-fixe which is fine. Just glance over it before you sit down or you may get stuck with something you won't like. Lots of the same ingredients in each course but done so in different/unique ways. Taavo is definitely trying to make a statement here. The dining room is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. The menu design is the opposite...in some sort of avante-garde, I'm making a statement type way. Upon last visit it was zerox'd, handmade and written, retro-futuristic-punk-indie 'zine thing outta the early 90's...complete with unitard lady. It sits in stark contrast to the restaurant and food. Presumably on purpose. The bathroom provides the same sort of hilarious juxtaposition. I won't spoil it, but it's as if a drunken Greek cocaine dealer that laundered money through his tacky marble discount store decorated the place.
This place rocks.
By callingall on 10/22/2011
The restaurant is beautiful. The food is challenging, but in a good way. The chef seems to want to do something special. Not everything is a smash but it is worth a shot. The duck pate is very good. The steak tartar is excellent. They're getting buzz for the sardines with the bones on the outside. It is quite a presentation and is worth a try. The deserts are exotic. Don't expect "death by chocolate" here. A recent visit had a Jerusalem Artichoke flavored ice cream dish that was not sweet but very satisfying. It looks like Taavo is trying to do something different here. A larger menu would nice. Currently it looks like they're sticking to a pre-fix for now which I'd like to see stretched a bit.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Pizzeria Debuts Trump Pizza, Sliced Small for People With Tiny Fingers
- Donald Trump Celebrates Cinco de Mayo With ‘the Best Taco Bowls’
- New York Times Getting Into the Business of Delivering Food to People’s Homes
- The Metrograph Movie House Serves Steak Tartare at Its Commissary
- Jewish Leader Accuses Michelin of Being Anti-Semitic