All Reader Reviews of...
45 E. 1st St., New York, NY, 10003
nr. Second Ave.
hands down one of my faves
By greengyal on 5/25/2012
So awesome to see Jill in this week's NY Mag - Joe Doe is one of those understated cozy restaurants that keeps us all in NYC. Fantastic drinks - a Cheers like welcome for the regulars and outstanding food that tastes like something you wish your mom made when you visited home (admittedly I love the fried matzah). Don't leave without tasting the whiskey with cherries and be sure to eat whatever desert your server recommends.
By williambambam on 5/31/2010
When one of our favorite brunch spots had too long of a wait my wife and I decided to try JoeDoe and I'm so glad we did. From the drinks to dessert, absolutely fantastic! Went back for dinner a week later to make sure it wasn't a fluke and was blown away. Best pork butt I've ever had (that coming from an O.G. southerner) and the gin cured scallops were fantastic. The wait staff was very accommodating and friendly. The drink menu was creative but not pretentious with some great prepared beers and they even made my wife a nice margarita which isn't on the menu. Decor was fun with most seating comprised of sectioned church pews and an open view of the cozy kitchen. Don't bother going here if you are a strict vegetarian or opposed to duck eggs but other than that I highly recommend it.
"Can you turn that down?" "What??" "Exactly."
By badtzmat on 9/23/2012
This place would be a good "go to" for me and my friends in my nabe... Good food... gin cured scallops were great! Cute place... Interior was homey and quite comfortable. So many small restaurants can feel just that... Small. but... The music was simply far too loud. For a small place where we were sitting very close we could barely hear anyone at the table. We found ourselves repeating ourselves multiple times. We eventually did request the music be turned back a little twice but to no avail. I could try to defend myself saying that I am not some old guy that dislikes rock-n-roll, but why should I have to? If everyone at your table is not enjoying themselves nor their food because of one simple issue that is easily ameliorated by the staff and they simply refuse because the management "likes to keep it up" then you should think twice about returning. I did and I won't. (The service rating is for not turning down the music)
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu