All Reader Reviews of...
8 Extra Pl., New York, NY, 10003
nr. E. 1st St.
Great food + abysmal service
By pmelton on 11/8/2011
The food here was, indeed, remarkable. The service, however, was apathetic to the point of offense. Two of the three chefs seemed put upon to actually have to _serve_ their guests, and none of the staff showed any interest in dealing with a particularly loud guest who seemed intent on destroying the atmosphere for everyone. When I expressed my dissatisfaction afterward, the staff's reaction was "really?!" That one might have a bad experience in David Chang's empire--and as a result of their professional negligence--was clearly unfathomable for them. The attitude seemed to be that, if you have a bad time, then you're problem. If you want to go, go SOLELY for the food and focus EXCLUSIVELY on it. Everything else about the place will just take away from the food.
Lower your expectations...
By winston227 on 3/2/2012
My boyfriend and I have been big fans, and supporters of David Chang's restaurants for years. We were particularly excited to try Ko after several attempts at making a reservation. The food was amazing! It was by far one of the most creative meals we have ever eaten. The micro-planed fois gras was the most notable ingredient from the ten courses. We also recommend the alcohol pairing. It was well worth it! With that said the service is a huge disappointment. We would never go back. The staff is completely pretentious, and made the experience miserable. It was actually uncomfortable to sit across from the chef that served us. He mumbled through the descriptions of each course, and acted bothered by any questions. There are only ten people in the whole restaurant, and I would be willing to bet the large majority of their customers have a very strong appreciation for food. There is no reason for them to act so bothered/conceited. From reading the reviews it sounds like this is the overall mood of Ko. The place would be perfect if they could lose the attitude...
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu