All Reader Reviews of...
268 Clinton St., Brooklyn, NY, 11201
nr. Verandah Pl.
By Abbey on 9/12/2013
I'm really shocked by the previous review. We've been here several times, and while it can be quite crowded, that is about the only negative I have on the place. The food is delicious! Anything from a simple quail egg that you peel and dip in special salts, to more more complicated but interesting takes on Spanish cuisine. All full of flavor...the service is very nice and quite helpful. It is very fun to be able to sit with friend(s) and order a bunch of dishes and pass them around. The prices seem on par with the rest of the neighborhood, nothing shocking. And we do drink wine and like a after dinner drink as well. Don't miss this place.
Table for 2 left $90 lighter and still hungry. Thanks, NY Mag!
By thegreat on 7/13/2012
We live around the corner from La Vara and were excited to try it on New York magazine's recommendations. Had tried to get in a couple times but it was packed, so we were happy to finally get in tonight, especially after it was featured in a big, delicious photo in the Eat Cheap issue. I'm not a cheap eater myself, and frequent some of the priciest restaurants in Manhattan, so the prospect of a reasonably priced meal isn't what drew me there, but that didn't keep me from feeling ripped off. My husband and I ordered the baked fish, which came simply prepared with no accompaniment, the delicious but ultimately unsatisifying gurulos pasta with ground goat, a nothing-special beet and watercress salad, and a tiny plate of empanadillos. We drank sparkling water and a Coke and, even with no alcohol, we were out $90 and we actually left hungry. The service was friendly and very good, but sadly, we won't be going back.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu