All Reader Reviews of...
160 Seventh Ave., New York, NY, 10011
nr. 20th St.
Delightful! Low-key! Unpretentious! Delicious!
By eelbaor on 9/17/2012
Recently while visiting the city I had a wonderful French bistro meal at this Chelsea neighborhood restaurant (Le Singe Verte) discovered somewhat by accident. My daughter, a young neighborhood local, commented how we should have dinner at a place that she passes each day on her way from work. "The sidewalk tables always seems to be filled with happy people, so the food must be good!". We went for a mid-week dinner without a reservation and were graciously greeted, quickly offered menus, followed-up with suggestions and specials without rush. The waiter had none of the bistro haughtiness sometimes encountered in Paris. I ordered the simple roast chicken and my daughter ordered the skate. Both were comparable in preparation and presentation that could be found in a great French bistro. We did not order appetizers or dessert...so no comments there. However, on her brother's recent trip to NYC she was sure to bring him there for dinner in order to elicit his comments. He was awed (this from a former New Yorker). A testament to a restaurant's good food, service and atmosphere are REPEAT CUSTOMERS. Comments from a family that has lived and traveled throughout Europe!
Awful Service! Don't go here
By beccat on 3/4/2012
I never ever write reviews but had to write about what an awful experience we had at Le Singe Vert. The food was ok (not stand out, but not bad) but my friend had a salad with chicken that was undercooked. When she respectfully pointed out to the waiter and asked them to please cook it a bit more, the waiter gave her a look of disdain but did take it away to replace it. Then the hostess came over, we thought to apologize, but instead came to berate her, saying the chef said it was perfectly cooked, so she asked him to recook it and burn it. I live in the neighborhood and love French bistro food, but will never come back.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu