All Reader Reviews of...
238 Madison Ave., New York, NY, 10016
at 37th St.
PISSY LITTLE FAUX FRENCH BIATCH
By Soizic84 on 3/9/2012
Very rude wanna-be french maitre d'. Condescending from the start. Their wine list is poorly written - it listed Moulin a vent as 2007/2008. I assume they had both 2007 and 2008 as a wine list must have a vintage attached to the wine. According to the know-it-all maitre d', this was not the case. It was one or the other: 2007 or 2008. They only had one. He acted as though it was normal to list several vintages although they only had one. The condescension continued. When we told him that we were both ordering the prix fixe and that we planned to share all the dishes, he insisted that we tell him who was ordering which dish for "placement" purposes. We had already told him we were sharing. When I pointed that out for the second time, he said, "Fine. It doesn't matter." Half of the dishes were good, some were mediocre. The tarte flambe was good. The bread was mediocre. The seafood overcooked. We had a Bloomspot that gave us $30 off the $142 bill. The maitre d' said, "You didn't tell us about this." I said, "I did. When I called. That's what the Bloomspot instructed to do." He then took it, and said, "Next time, give it to use when you walk in." What - so I could get even worse service? When I told him I was giving him a tip commensurate with his service, he became enraged. He followed outside the restaurant and asked us why. I explained to him how he was condescending to us the entire meal. He threw up his hands, exasperated, and said, "Fine!"
A beautiful place with AMAZING food and service!
By meanshewilson on 7/18/2011
The food was wonderful, service truly stunning. The food and the prices are unbeatable! Great place for a date or an after work drink!
Comfortable with great food
By jkline on 5/4/2011
Do not leave with out trying the "Tarte Flambe". The service was great, the food was great and the atmosphere made my dining experience very enjoyable. Recommend for sure.
Terrific value for French bistro
By bogotel on 6/9/2004
The food, the service and the wine list are the perfect combination for a perfect dinner. this place is more than only a bistro.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here Are 2016’s James Beard Restaurant and Chef Award Winners
- FBI Looking for Man Who Sprinkled ‘Unknown Liquid Substance’ Around Whole Foods
- Taliban Fighters Are Unimpressed With McDonald’s Food
- Grumpy Del Taco Manager Fired After Not Understanding How Easy It Is to Post a Video Online
- Will Chickpea Water Be the Next Kale?