All Reader Reviews of...
496 Ninth Ave., New York, NY, 10018
nr. 38th St.
Don't bother with Market Cafe
By crushp52 on 12/11/2013
This place is truly awful! It smells and is depressing and has poor service and is located in a terrible neighborhood.
A great soup on a VERY COLD DAY
By seaweed on 12/14/2010
Went on a very cold day and the server suggested a red pepper soup. It was a great choice as was the French Country salad. The lunch was ended with the warm apple spice cake which was just the right finish. Would definitely go back.
middle of the road, but that's not good for new york city
By ericac33 on 11/12/2009
i went to market cafe last night in search of a good meal and a comfortable atmosphere for dinner with my mom. the place was cute but a little run-down. the food was not bad but not great - and with so many great options in the city, that's not good news. i find it hard to find an above average restaurant in this neighborhood but will keep looking!
A dining delight night or day
By RosieB123 on 11/8/2009
When I asked a longtime Brooklyn resident for dining recommendations near a loft I was renting in Midtown, "Market Cafe" was high on his list. Our Brooklynite connection had told us "The Market Cafe chocolate cake is the best chocolate cake I have EVER had." I'd like to say "ditto" to that review and add my own descriptor of "it is to die for". The quality and size is phenomenal and at a most reasonable price. Although the restaurant was extremely busy, the owner made a point of being welcoming and attentive. The experience was so pleasant that I made a point to return for lunch the next day. After an easy stroll from Times Square, I ordered a grilled steak, fries, and the house salad. Excellent! A slice of pumpkin cake to-go was saved for a post theater treat that night. Yummy!
By chelseafoodlvr on 10/6/2009
The French Country Salad was huge, fresh and one of the tastiest salads I have ever been served. The crunch of the walnuts, the huge serving of cheese and smoked chicken, and the fresh greens and endive made for a filling and nutricious salad.
Nice and simple
By tommaso on 3/8/2005
Very good value, excellent for lunch, tasty food and always smiling service I go very often
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu