All Reader Reviews of...
39 Downing St., New York, NY, 10014
nr. Bedford St.
By speakthetruth on 5/24/2004
The restaurant review I had read was extremely generous. The first odd thing I noticed was that the prix-fixe menu( which I did order). Every item on he menu had ramps! Ramps with smoked fish, ramps with tartare, ramps with lamb... It felt as though I was watching an Iron Chef episode. But no, because on the Iron Chef, the chefs would have found different and creative ways to use the ingredient according to the dish. At Mas, the ramps all tasted the same. Don't get me wrong I think ramps are delicious ramps - and I'm a sucker for seasonal ingredients, but it was too much. In general, the dishes all tasted not quite put together - not thought out enough, or tweaked after multiple attemps to perfect a dish prior to serving it to the public... Nothing tasted quite right. perhaps even a little amateur-ish. And the desserts were awful. The wait staff was odd and surreal. Really nice, but out there - they all smiled right through you.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Ana Gasteyer Loves a Good Mint Julep
- Starbucks New ‘Secret’ Drink Is a Ghastly Purple Nightmare
- World’s Worst Customer Injures Himself and 4 Others After Accidentally Firing His Gun at a Restaurant
- A Chef Explains Why He’s Suddenly Closing His Much-Loved Brooklyn Restaurant
- More Whole Foods Products Recalled Over Food-Safety Fears