All Reader Reviews of...
18 King St., New York, NY, 10014
at Sixth Ave.
By buddyboy on 3/12/2010
Head further south for real SOutheast Asian food. This place is a joke! Terrible host that looked like he'd just been released from re-hab. The owner stood in the middle of the restaurant SCREAMING on his cell while customers tried to eat. Avoid this dump!! Go to Dyer St or Pell St in Chinatown instead!
The worst Pho ever?
By gabrielz on 3/24/2008
Feel compelled to write that today's business lunch at MeKong delivered the worst Pho I've ever had (and I've eaten a lot of it) and a tepid, uninspired Ca Phe Sua Da (iced Vietnamese Coffee). While I don't expect every Vietnamese restaurant to have these iconic dishes, if you put them on the menu, you *must* do a reasonably good job of them. The bowl was small, the garnish had already been placed (ouch!) the broth tasted like dishwater and the meat was tough. It was an absolute F. Our Goi Cuon were equally insipid, and the coffee was burnt, weak, gritty and way oversized. I don't know if the cooks and owners at this place are even Vietnamese, or if they just revel in trying to pull one over on their crowd (or maybe I just ordered wrong), but this was truly awful. Just plain awful.
Choose between expensive delivery or crowded/stressed dining
By hautepanda on 3/12/2007
Some of their dishes are really tasty: I like the chicken curry soup and the salt and pepper calamari (my mouth is watering at the thought of the latter). But the price point is weird: pretty expensive, as takeout goes, and I don't actually enjoy eating at the restaurant - I've found it frenetic and a bit of a meat market crowd as opposed to a foodie crowd. So I just order takeout from there on occasion.
By platinum1313 on 2/1/2003
Great food & drink menu variety and options. Presentation and flavors are outstanding. Spice levels get your attention without being overwhelming (though the chefs need to back of the ginger on the whole grilled snapper...) I'd go back in a heartbeat!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More