All Reader Reviews of...
9 W. 53rd St., New York, NY, 10019
nr. Fifth Ave.
Great food great service one of the great one's in NY
By psdesignc on 3/28/2005
I have had the chance to eat their twice both times food was great service was a 10 look is the best. Eaten at Per Se twice and this is equal at 0ne Tenth the cost of Per Se. If Per Se is a 29 than this isn't far behind. Only negative sounds from bars area can be hard
Who was in charge of hiring such "professionals"
By GABRIELLE on 2/23/2005
I was amazed that the Moma sign of creativity had such a poor example like The Modern. Whoever was in charge of hiring the staff should be fired. From Manager to friendly non professional waiting staff and and a kitchen with notorious lack of creativity, this is not the place for such a Museum
A Modern Mystery
By martin_chamois on 2/20/2005
Danny Meyer's mid-town trend setting restaurant which launched as a disaster last winter has undoubtedly improved in all areas. The front desk has developed from complete chaos into a professional organized group. The wait staff has made dramatic improvements. The bar staff has improved some and at least now they know the contents of their own bar stock. The interior design is still severe and has many hard edges. Tables for two are still placed on top of one another to stifle any conversation. The menu has evolved and is far superior to earlier incarnations. And the food is top notch with excellent ingredients evident. Wine service continues to flounder - despite one of the most over priced wine list in Manhattan. The wrong vintages are presented to the table, frequently at the wrong temperature. The biggest concern is the customers tend to be tourist, with limited vision and clearly not demanding. If Manhattan customers fail to raise the standards, I fear that the Modern Disaster may return.
By kmh on 2/4/2005
actually went to the bar - have not yet eaten (food score refers to wine and drinks we had). the space is gorgeous, comfortable, and very well designed. the drink menu is amusing and creative. our server was a little slow on the uptake and he didn't seem to know much about what he was talking - but it's new, and he was young. the other staff was knowledgeable and gracious. definitely recommend - can't wait to eat here!
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More