All Reader Reviews of...
201 W. 79th St., New York, NY, 10024
at Amsterdam Ave.
French on the West Side
By Parks on 8/10/2003
Nice Matin was quite pleasant. The service, however, was rushed. The crab cake was meaty but too many kids in the afternoon could be a problem for a couple who wanted a bit of romance. I prefer the Riveria but on the West Side this is a good substitute.
not worth getting sick over
By froggy on 8/4/2003
When Nice Matin initially opened, I had a very good brunch. The french fries were especially delicious. However, the second time I visited, the quality deteriorated. I got food poisoning from the steak frites. When I sent back the steak, the chef said there was nothing wrong with it. However, it smelled like bad meat, tasted like bad meat, and gave me diarrhea for two days. It was about 100 degrees outside, but that is no excuse. It seems that the quality worsened once the restaurant extended operating hours. Fortunately, Marseille in hell's kitchen (same owners, but different chef) has kept its standards higher and remains consistent.
Another interesting new westside place worth the trip
By Baratti on 5/22/2003
While hardly a "destination" restaurant, it is worth a special trip if you don't live in the neighborhood. Did not quite remind me of the French Riviera, but it was more comfortable European bistro than Upper westside. On the noisy side but conversation is still possible. Small but thoughtfully chosen wine list with interesting options from around the world. On the recommendation of an owner, we tried an incredible early 1990s Rioja. We started with a salad and pissaladiere. Enjoyed the salad, not outstanding but well balanced flavors. Pissaladiere was a sad interpretation of a pizza but had some interesting flavor combinations. My fiance had the steak and frites - which were better than average. Frites were crisp and disappeared before the steak. Highly recommend the salmon. Perfectly cooked, seasoned (not too salty like most places) and complemented with wonderfully grilled vegies. While it is an obvious menu item, Nice Matin manages to make it interesting without trying too hard.
By colpo on 5/21/2003
From the evening's outset, a proper tone was set here. The male bartender was friendly and communicative with wine suggestions. The space itself is exceedingly handsome. All of the dishes ordered by the four of us, with no duplicates, were exceptional, including the sardines starter, the sea bass main, and the tarte tatin. There was a real "feel" for the provencal-style food here, not a french-by-the-numbers job a la "Bicyclette"/Columbus. Highly recommended.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long
- New York Accuses Domino’s of Helping Franchisees Steal Workers’ Wages