All Reader Reviews of...
170 Mercer St., New York, NY, 10012
nr. Houston St.
By EAG1 on 12/21/2011
Did we dine at the same restaurant? The food was not merely bad -- it was horrendous. I knew there was a problem when one of our guests asked for a California roll to be prepared inside out (she's not from the States, where inside out California rolls are the norm). The waiter informed us that the rice wasn't strong enough to hold outside the nori. Hmmmm. So. The oysters were swimming in sauce, likely to mask their less than freshness. The Shishito peppers were burnt (they were meant to be charred). The tofu with truffles contained possibly the worst canned truffles I have ever had the misfortune to taste. And the sushi. Oh my. The fish was off and the rolls tasteless. I've had far better cheap delivery sushi. We tasted and then left it where it lay. Which was probably a good survival move as, even with what little I ingested, my stomach is still roiling 16 hours later. The bill, by the way -- and yes, we had saki -- was $750. My guess is the oily owner, as he was styled by the NYTimes profile, kept the food up long enough to be reviewed and then cut costs down to the bone. Please, save yourself. It is too late for us.
Awful experience, worst service
By abgnewyork on 5/16/2011
This restaurant had THE WORST SERVICE and RUDE staff. Being a New Yorker I have eaten just about everywhere and this was one of my worst experiences! My friends and I were so disappointed. We had to ask the same question 5 times because no one was attentive and no one cared, the staff was not helpful or accommodating or nice, and the portion sizes are SO TINY... you will honestly leave hungry. No redeeming qualities and I highly recommend you go elsewhere for Japanese food!!
Overpriced for the quality
By washingtonpl on 4/14/2011
The space is gorgeous, the service impeccable, the hot dishes great but the quality of fish is sub par and the rolls, disappointing and messy. I was surprised to have a cut of sashimi that wasn't the best, not to mention had an odor to it. I'm hoping that these elements will be corrected.
Splendid Soho Sushi
By lalalauren on 3/17/2011
My fiancee and I went to Niko the other night and had a fantastic experience. We tried a variety of sushi rolls (the eel+avacado roll was especially delish!), the crispy shrimp was yummy! The Spanish and Japanese Mackeral rolls were fab. The tempura salad handroll was perfectly spicy - and so delish that we wanted to order more (probably our favorite dish)! Their jalepeno cocktail is nice sweet and spicy combo. The servers also brought us complementary brown rice, mushrooms, peppers, mochi - all of which were a lovely surprise. The service was extremely attentive - almost surprisingly so. The ambience is low-key, very nice, also with very interesting art hanging about the room. I think this is a great addition to the Japanese options in Soho.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- You Can Feel Good About Eating This Inception Doughnut Because It’s Vegan
- Roberta’s Set to Take ‘Significant’ Investment From Tisch Family Member
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s