All Reader Reviews of...
78 Second Ave., New York, NY, 10003
at 5th St.
Cool place, okay food
By ManhattanMiss on 5/9/2011
I love Moroccan food, so I was pretty excited to find this place. It has low lighting and cool mosaic glass lamps. Both times I went were Saturdays and it wasn't very crowded. No wait for a table. Although I ordered the same dish both times (lamb tajine), I found it was much better the first time. This time, the cut was extremely fatty with hardly any meat, and it was clear it hadn't cooked long enough in the tajine (if it cooked in there at all) because the sauce was runny and flavorless. Not very good at all. They also used to have really tasty bread with black caraway seeds, but the bread this time was not so great. I did enjoy the chicken pastilla appetizer and the wonderful Algerian wine (really nice and only $24 a bottle!), so it wasn't a total loss. I'd love to find a better Moroccan place, but I'll probably go back here again if I don't.
By dwallack79 on 8/25/2008
Found this place while wandering around downtown this past weekend. Friendly and attentive service, yes. Nice atmosphere, sort of. We ate outside so the interior of the restaurant was seen from afar. The food was not so good. Our trio dip appetizer was pretty good, although nothing spectacular. We both ended up with the cous cous, and I couldn't have been more disappointed. While the other dishes around us were being served well presented and tasty looking, our bowl of mush looked terrible, and Idid not taste much better. Overall, I would say I wasted a perfectly good meal and a decent amount of cash at this place.
Comedy of Errors
By reeniepark on 9/21/2008
Pros: Allowed reservation on short notice and held table despite being 15 minutes late due to traffic on a Sat night. Great decor, and good ambiance. Cons: Waiter had an attitude from the onset, my sister wasn't informed that her appetizer was canceled because they ran out of the ingredient until everyone else was served, my sister order an entree and they brought her a similar appetizer instead (when my sister told them it was incorrect the waiter replied "it's basically the same thing"), my appetizer came after my entree and only after I asked about it, they didn't give my bf his couscous until after he finished his entree, and they took off the drinks on the check because of all the problems but charged us for the appetizer which she never received. I was really disappointed by this experience.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Founder of Acclaimed Whiskey Brand WhistlePig Ousted Over Fraud Accusations
- Olive Garden Stakes Its Future on ‘Spaghetti Pie’
- Pravda, Another Formerly Trendy Soho Relic, Will Close Next Month
- Scientists May Have Discovered a Way to Keep Bananas Fresh at Least Twice As Long
- New York Accuses Domino’s of Helping Franchisees Steal Workers’ Wages