All Reader Reviews of...
242 E. 79th St., New York, NY, 10075
nr. Second Ave.
First. Our Place Moved in September 2010 to 242 East 79th Street
By rwordplay on 2/5/2011
Second. The new restaurant is less formal and more inviting than the original. It is run by the Original Partners, the move was precipitated by a irrational increase in rent. The new restaurant has a new chef, trained in Shanghai, but who has spent the last ten years in Tokyo. He is currently working with the original menu, which is a little disappointing because after 20 years, the dishes, while solid and good, are a little dull. The restaurant promises to slowly introduce new, more contemporary dishes, but are slow to upset customers are accustomed to certain tastes, preparations, ingredients etc. I have had a couple of excellent meals, eating traditional dishes including spareribs, fried dumplings, mu shu pork, and the Shanghai-style shredded beef. They have just reintroduced their weekend dim sum brunch. I will be taking two friend there tomorrow and I have high hopes for an excellent meal. But I will be critical and push management to be a bit more adventurous .
Worst dining experience ever! Actually offensive waiters.
By Me233 on 12/14/2008
Low maintenance customer says:: We walked in at 2:57. We had seen the menu outside with lunch specials until 3. The waiter gave us a dimsum_menu instead and said the outside, cheaper_menu was invalid (bait and switch?). Fine, I asked to order the lunch special and the waiter said it was past 3:00. I told him it was exactly 3:00, not exactly pressing the issue. He leaves in a huff, returns and says ok. I asked for chicken with a soup and roll and an extra dish of spring rolls. My friend orders a soup and the waiter sneers and says that she should just take my soup (to imply that I'm cheap). I do my best to ignore it and we order dim sum. He tells us that dim sum is NOT being served after 3, never mind that he gave us the dim sum menu at 3. 10 minutes later, the next table orders dim sum and he writes it down. Unfreakingbelievable. He then IGNORES_MY_TABLE for the next 30 minutes. So the two of us are stuck there eating one lunch special with a spring roll (picture showed 2, they gave us 1). Restaurant_was_empty_Never_again.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Designer Danielle Snyder Chases Dover Sole With Twizzlers
- Pizzeria Debuts Trump Pizza, Sliced Small for People With Tiny Fingers
- Donald Trump Celebrates Cinco de Mayo With ‘the Best Taco Bowls’
- New York Times Getting Into the Business of Delivering Food to People’s Homes
- The Metrograph Movie House Serves Steak Tartare at Its Commissary