All Reader Reviews of...
36 E. 20th St., New York, NY, 10003
By LeeannT on 10/15/2012
Found this place through Savored.com. Hadn't heard much about it and booked it for a party of 8 friends for dinner. The Maitre d' Chris was extremely warm and welcoming and never made us feel rushed to sit down. He gave us a private table that was not on top of other tables, but was close enough to the live music. The food was great and the service was incredibly attentive without being annoying. A great find and I would definitely recommend it.
For anyone who suffers food allergies, this one is for you
By secolvin on 7/19/2012
I have a severe, killer, food allergy. Beets. It's unusual and because it's rare, I am hypervigilant about making sure that I am safe when dining out. Last night at Parea, I read the menu, noticed there were beets in the kitchen and proceeded to let my server know that I had an allergy and that he needed to make sure the chef and prep line prepared my food according to this allergy. Beets could NOT come to the table. I proceeded to order: Crab Cake Sandwich The sampler of spreads including: * Eggplant Spread: Roasted baby eggplants and feta cheese * Taramas: Carp roe and bread crump mousse * Htipiti: Spicy Feta Spread The runner delivered the spreads, pointed at the Taramas and says "This is the only one with beets in it." I was floored. Not only did they bring beets to my table, the ingredient was in the spread and I had no idea because it wasn't listed on the menu. I asked the server to remove the dish from the table and then I did make a stink about the fact that they would bring beets to the table. My take on this: 1) the staff is obviously not trained to handle food allergies. This is a huge problem. Not an understatement. They could have killed me. 2) the staff isn't fluent in English and therefore, they cannot understand when their patrons have an allergy that could be life threatening. I hope this review will motivate them to train their staff.
Wonderful discovery in the flatiron district
By hilolib on 11/16/2010
Although you were dealing with some computer problems in your ordering system, We compliment you on the excellence of the food and on the service from your staff. The grilled calamari was perfection and the spanakopita as good as can be. The entrees moussaka and frittata were equally perfectly prepared; I have never tasted a moussaka as flavorful as yours. Finally, we were also delighted with the desserts, sorbet for my wife and the galaktobouriko for me. We talked about it for the rest of the afternoon. The staff was thoroughly attentive to our table and we realized that the slight deviations from excellence and the delays were not their fault.
By margott1212 on 6/15/2009
Yummy, fresh and professional! Bravo.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Watching a Machine From the 1800s Make Candy Is a Surprisingly Satisfying Way to End the Week
- NYC Can Start Fining Restaurants for Salt-Label Violations
- Broadway’s Megan Hilty Eats Her First Proper Dinner at Sardi’s
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Dizengoff, Olmsted, GÃ¼nter Seeger, and More
- A Trailblazing Chef Arrives in NYC With This Ambitious New Restaurant