- READER REVIEWS
All Reader Reviews of...
116 Smith St., New York, NY, 10038
near Pacific St.
Word of Mouth Can be Deceiving
By Big_Al on 7/13/2004
Heard and read lots of phenomenal reviews; it fell somewhat short of the hype. Sat out back and the waiter brought us an ash tray—a definite plus. Started with New England Clam Chowder ($3 for a mug); tasty but thin. Old Bay chips (around $3) were unreal. Perfect thickness, crunch and seasoning. Only wish they were fresh fried and brought out hot. My girlfriend had the Seafood Pot Pie (an overpriced $18 special). Could have been fresher and the lobster was nowhere to be found. I had the Clambake—a $20 special every Friday and Saturday. Got a half lobster (excellent), sauteed squid (tasty), chorizo sausage (delicious), steamed clams (surprisingly flavorful), sauteed spinach (awesome) and some "dirty rice" (looked like Zattaran's Instant Dirty Rice). I enjoyed this dish a lot. The menu isn’t huge but the specials are what you should go for; the proprietor sees what's good at the market and cooks accordingly. They have a full bar and a decent beer selection; average prices. My Hoegarten was light, floral and different (good different). I liked this place a lot and I'll definitely go again for the smoking and the food. Wish the portions were a little bigger.
By JoannG123 on 6/4/2004
Great Food... Had A Cheddar Burger Yum! & The Coney Island Style Calamari Is To Die For!!! The Staff Is S-super Nice... Great Cozy Comfy Place.... Will Go Back...
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu