All Reader Reviews of...
1540 Second Ave., New York, NY, 10028
nr. 80th St.
By vicleviste on 2/21/2009
Curiosity of Anthony Bourdain's episode on New York City led me to this restaurant where I was severely disappointed. Pig Heaven did not do justice to their rendition of roast suckling pig. It was microwaved and yielded rubbery skin. Any Chinese BBQ restaurant would have offered a fresher crispier roast pig at 1/3 the cost. This restaurant, trying hard to be Chinese, would do the Asian community a favor by just shutting down.
Terrific place altogether
By diner on 6/8/2008
From the warm welcome you'll receive from owner Nancy Lee to the fortune cookie at the end of the meal, Pig Heaven is great value for very good food. The Peking Duck is very special but so is regular take-out. The service is excellent and the decor spacious and pleasant. A terrific place altogether.
By dtang01 on 2/10/2005
Pig Heaven has been around for about three decades. Formerly named Sichuan East, the restaurant has been known as Pig Heaven since '84... how many restaurants in the UpperEastSide can boast that they've been around for that long? Clearly there can only be one explanation: the food and service is and has always been exceptional. Pig Heaven upholds a standard of excellence that I have not found at other Chinese restaurants. It breaks the stereotype Chinese restaurant that most of us have in our minds. The outdoor cafe is delightful, the bar and the dining room nice and modern, the food is authentic and Nancy Lee, the owner is the warmest most welcoming hostess. Having resided in the UpperEastSide my entire life, I can vouch that Pig Heaven is first class-- if my word is not enough, ask Guiliani, Tom Hanks, or Steven Spielberg as they often frequent PH as well.
What You See...
By Ralster on 10/8/2004
I've frequented PH ever since it arrived. Today's version is a solid neighborhood fixture with good food, acceptable service and a wide menu if you like pork dishes. Price is right. Outdoor seating is a bit cramped but great for summer people watching. Try the house specials -- they're excellent.
Come on, Nancy - you can do better...
By truly_sweet on 10/3/2003
When Pig Heaven FINALLY got a make-over from its former screaming-pink monstrosity - I finally gave it a try. Survey Says? Nope. No way. Firstly, I don't eat pork nor shellfish - and that makes up a good portion of any Chinese menu - but Pig Heaven had some veggie options - so I tried. They failed. Miserably. A greasy mass of over-sauced nightmare. Sorry, folks, but Pig Heaven has gone to the dogs.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Scientists â€‹Pretty Sure Humans Could Eat Food Grown in Martian Soil
- Another Restaurant Bites the Dust on Clinton Street
- A Talented Pastry Chef Will Open a New Bakery in the Rockaways
- This 3-D Food Printer Actually Makes Pizza So You Don’t Have To
- Bergen Hill Relocates to Noho With a Seafood-Heavy Menu