All Reader Reviews of...
37 Union Sq. West, New York, NY, 10003
nr. 16th St.
Can I eat off your plate?
By jwhc on 5/6/2003
There is a lot of rave about Republic and to its owner's credit they have done an excellent job building a very cool enviornment. The food is not bad and I have to admit the service is quite good. Unfortunately, the whole experience is shattered because of the decor. The tables are shared and the accoustics are very poor. It is extremely noisy in the restaurant. I felt like I was battling with the guy next to me to hear my friend... nd she was just sitting across the table! Part of the whole dinning experience is enjoying the ambience but when I can almost feel the guy next to me breath, it just ruins everything they have built themselves up to be.
YES IT'S CHEAP- THAT'S ALL
By atomu on 4/23/2003
Yes it’s cheap & hip. But why go there to eat??? All you need is over cooked & old noodle with ketchup to make their Pad Tai. The food doesn’t look or taste fresh. You just get full with the low quality of food hypnotized by deem lighting and the noise of fun atmosphere
By jle321 on 4/10/2003
Republic is a great cheap meal. Especially in the summer when you can sit outside have a drink, and watch the crowd go by. The decor is cold but worth sitting at the cafeteria style tables for the helpful, quick service.
Consistent Food and Service
By CityPixie on 3/12/2003
I love stopping in to Republic before a movie or for a quick bite on the go. I know I'm going to get a good good meal in a efficient amount of time. Their fresh juices are a great alternative to the standard beverage choices, too! A big plus to Republic for taking credit cards and their fast and reliable delivery.
By bambola on 3/10/2003
When you want a quick and easy asian meal, looking for a pad thai with the right proportion of carbs to protein, are in the mood for silky vegetable noodles or crave spicy cocunut chicken, Republic fits the bill. It's clean, quick, reliable and very cheap. That's more than most NYC restaurants can boast about!
By samjones on 3/1/2003
Republic is a great place when you need to fill up cheap. The decor is fun, though the staff is a bit spacy.
By Roseann on 2/28/2003
The food, service and decor was great, just too noisy.
Great food at a great price
By bettys929 on 1/24/2003
I have gone back to Republic a couple times now. It has great food and great service for not too much $moolah$. Their Pad Thai is excellent, as is their spicy coconut chicken, and spicy beef. The only downfall is that when it is busy, it is loud -- expect to be saying "what?" every few minutes. Go for the food,service, and price but not for the atmosphere.
- The best reviews give a clear sense of why you liked or disliked a restaurant, bar, or store. And that means details. Mention specifics dishes, type of crowd, pros and cons...
- If it's helpful to compare one place to another, go for it.
- Come up with clever, funny, pithy subject lines, and write in the first person.
- Don't forget to read the user rating guidelines and rules.
- Here’s What to Expect When Alinea Reopens
- Raccoon Lodge Closing on June 30
- Starbucks’s Plan to ‘Revitalize’ Ferguson Might Actually Work
- Pizza Inside a Delivery Box Made of Pizza Changes Everything
- Grub Street’s Restaurant Power Rankings: Jose Garces Opens, New New Nordic in Midtown, a 4-Star Tea Shop, and More